MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-13-2001, 09:13 PM
Bear

A request

I know this is a lot to ask, but when one of you pros get time, would you mind posting a hollow grinding tutorial? Or, if you can just point a newbie in the right direction equipment-wise (CHEAP) it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2001, 09:51 PM
Bob Warner

Bear,

You can look here for some of the tools and information you may find useful. This is just some info I have gathered.
www.warnerknives.com/Beginners.htm
www.warnerknives.com/tools.htm

For hollow grinding, the best tool for the job is a 2"X72" belt grinder. The wheel on the grinder creates the "Hollow" on the blade. Small wheels grind deeper hollows than big wheels. I have heard of people using really big wheels in some cases. The wheel size and depth of the hollow depend on your personal preference or your customer's request.

Hope it helps.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:33 AM
Geno

Hello Bear,
That would be a LARGE tutorial in writing.
I finished a training video last year to help people get started.
It covers hollow grinding, and a whole lot more.
It even shows you how to make an inexpensive grinding jig for hollow grinding.
You can check out the reviews here in the Newbie archives, or at the tool time archives, or go to (www.centercross.com/video.htm)
It is almost three hours of instruction and quite complete in info, all for $20.00+SH.
I hope it can help you as it has all these others.
That is the very reason we made it. BE BLESSED!
Old 11-14-2001, 11:30 AM
Bear

Thanks, guys. I can tell by looking at that tool list that I don't have anywhere close to the $$ required for a belt grinder. Looks like I may not be doing any hollow ground blades anytime soon after all.

Old 11-14-2001, 01:00 PM
Geno

Don't give up Bear,
I started with a 4" hand held disc grinder, then progressed to a hand held belt sander I mounted in a wooden box, upside down for better access.
I'v used a bench grinders from the pawn shop(with a LOT of hand work).
Where there is a will, there is a way.
It took my 7 years to be able to offord my first Burr King belt grinder.(I still use that machine today)
I'v built a few, and bought a few, but the belt grinder is the easiest way, NOT the only way.
I know a guy who uses a Dremel moto-tool to achieve a beautiful deep hollow grind for his folder blades.
Any circle that cuts metal on the outside can cut hollow grind.
Put your thinking cap on and let your creative nature take over.
"Can't", never finished anything.

BTW , I didn't mention the video because I need the money, you will find it full of ideas to get started, OK? I made it for that very purpose, to get people started. Bob Warner's 11 year old boy made a knife after watching it.(it was wooden because dad wouldn't turn him loose on a real blade yet untill he had some practice.Good Dad.) It was fileworked, had mosaic pins, and he called it "Woodmascus", for the blade.
A little creativity can go a long way,Bud.Don't give up.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:12 PM
Bear

Thanks, Geno. I'm thinking of trying to build my own belt grinder. I'll actually be using a washing machine motor with a rheostat so I can control the speed. I'm not sure how I'll set up the tensioning but I'll come up with something. I'm also thinking of extending my axle from the other side of the motor to use for the buffer wheel so I can use the same motor for both.

As soon as I get the extra $$ I'm going to try my best to get your video. It sound like something I really need.

Thanks again and God bless
Old 11-14-2001, 03:22 PM
Bob Warner

Bear,

The video is CHEAP and you will learn a lot.

Also look back in the tooltime posts, there are pictures of home built grinders. Mike Connor made a Cadillac of a grinder. Some are made from old materials in the shop and don't look that great but still perform the job required. You will see that there are not many of us that have the big, clean shop with all the tools you can imagine in them. And those that are close, made most of the tools. Making the tools is almost as much fun as using them. It is easy to get on a tool building path and never get off. There are small belt sanders (1" X 30" I think) at Sears. Jonathon Loose has made some really great things on an inexpensive grinder until he could get the one he has now. Mine is home built and I would love to have a commerically made one, but not yet.

Keep us posted and we will help with suggestions on how to make anything you want. We may have to invent it on the spot but you will get help.

Old 11-14-2001, 05:07 PM
J Loose

Thanks for the plug, Bob!

I got my start on a 1 x 30" Delta belt grinder for $80.00... it got the job done but alas, no hollow-grinding.

However, this has caught my attention in the past:

Knife making novices to experts, no need to spend hundreds of dollars on expensive belt grinders and belts when you can get an 8"x3" exact belt span rubber drum, change belts in minutes. Works on just about any bench grinder. Also Boker toplock conversion springs $4.50. These work as well as any belt grinder I've used. Start-up kit with 7 belts only $64.95. For more information call: RDR knives 207 732 4691.

Don't know anything about it myself but it might do the job... I've seen this ad in KI and Blade for a while now. Sounds like the only draw back would be getting the belts, which are more expensive when smaller for production reasons.

Good Luck- and if you try this out give us a review.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:32 PM
primos

Jon,
You started out with the high dollar equipment right off the bat! :

I didn't graduate up to a 1" x 31" Delta until I'd been making knives for a full year. (Seems like that one was on sale for $69 back then).

I started with a hacksaw, a hand drill, a fistful of files, and a bag of sandpaper in assorted grits.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:52 PM
Bob Warner

Me too. And believe it or not, I still make one that way sometimes. Using that file that much will keep you fine tuned. Also, my son is 11 and presently making his first forged knife. He has forge it out and is now filing till his arm hurt. He wants to finish filing really bad but he does not realize that the SANDING will take him even longer.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:51 PM
robertwashburn

learning

Bob,That`s a sure way for him to learn and appreciate daddys tools.I start people out forging with clay and a little wooden hammer.When they learn to move it,I let them start on steel.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:23 AM
s mcfall

I remember my first grinder,an 8" caster wheel, you can buy the tension and tracking adjustment wheel from texas knifemaker supply and bolt them to just about anything.
you could probably find some old pillow block(for the bearings)with a shaft to the caster wheel and a couple of belt pulleys for the motor to the caster shaft and your in businsses.

that basicly the same setup i started with and it lasted me for over 10yrs

hope this helps.

stan
Old 11-19-2001, 07:10 PM
Fireball

draw me a picture please. :-)
Old 11-19-2001, 07:51 PM
Bob Warner

Go to tool time and look at the discussion started by Mike Connor. Mike built his own grinder and did a really fine job of it. He is working with a few people over there right now to give direction on how he built it. This is valuable info for anyone interested in making their own grinder.

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives