MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 04-22-2001, 07:23 PM
Shotgunone

Liner lock screw-ups and fixs

Here is the deal. I apparrently drilled the detent hole in the blade slightly to large and deep so the little bitty ball has to much room to play in. The blade tip moves about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch when it is closed.

Is there anyway to fix it short of making a new blade? Or is it just one more piece for the scrap pile.

And oh yea. I didn't find this out until final assembly on the knife. Blade is hard, final grind - sand - and polish on the liners and handles. Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Old 04-22-2001, 09:10 PM
Frank Niro

This may be a great way to get a knife for yourself. You can hard solder-real silver solder- the hole full while protecting the rest of the blade from the high heat necessary with Thermo Trap or believe it or not a slice of potatoe say 1/4" thick. Then of course drill your hole again. You could also try filling with J.B. Weld and then--- More success Next time. Frank.
Old 04-23-2001, 08:49 AM
Jason G Howell

These things are bound to happen. I have tried a couple different things to fix this.

#1 I move my detent ball somewhere else on the lock. Most of the time this is impossible, but there might be room. Then redrill a detent hole there, reset ball, etc...

#2 This might be easier than #1, I bought some oversized drillrod from one of my tooling suppliers. I use a 1/8" stop pin, so I bought ## sizes 2 up and 4 up from there. If I run into your problem above, I just redrill my stop pin hole and grind the back of the blade to get the right position . (this also works for a lock you've cut a little short ) Now, your close position will have to be checked and/or adjusted. and your detent...

Neither of these "fixes" are ideal, but sometimes have to be done... Minor adjustments I consider part of tuning the knife to open and close like it should.

However... If you really screw up a knife you are working on, junk it and never look back. Your scrap pile is there to remind you to keep your mind on your work and continue to improve. Your reputation rides on your product. Every knife that leaves your shop needs to be the best that it can be. The $12 worth of Ti and SS you scrap is not worth risking your reputation on. I know, same with the $55 worth of damascus. No $$ dropped in the raw material is worth it.

My 2 cents worth.

BTW, #1 I stumbled onto out of necessity, #2 I learned from Johnny Stout. Thanks man.

Old 04-23-2001, 09:11 PM
Shotgunone

Well Duhhaaahhhhha!!!

Thanks Jason for the ideas. Number one worked for me. It seems so simple once you said it. I didn't have much room but was able to move it up and over on the lock. Then using a diamond burr and dremel made my new dent hole.

Used J. B. Weld to fill old dent hole. Thanks Frank. Probably didn't need to I guess since you can't see any of it now.

Even posted a picture of the knife here in the Display case.

pub42.ezboard.com/fcustom...=171.topic

Old 04-24-2001, 07:43 AM
Jason G Howell

Knife looked great Tony! Glad #1 worked for you.

Tags
blade, knife