MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-11-2002, 05:47 PM
andy gascoigne

316 stainless question

I am having a problem getting hold of 416 stainless steel in the u.k. I am only able to find round bar and not flat barstock.
My metal supplier is able to supply 316 would this be OK for an integral bolster/liner folding knife.
What is the machineability like and does it need to be hardened to make it stainless.

Hope to follow Neil Charitys tutorial to make a lock back.

Regards.

Andy
Old 01-11-2002, 07:23 PM
Roger Gregory

Andy, sorry I didn't get back to you on suppliers earlier. Like you, I have little success finding the right people. The stuff is out there but we need to break through those peculiar 'trade' barriers. Some of these people talk a different language....

Roger
Old 01-11-2002, 08:52 PM
Don Cowles

If I'm not mistaken, 300 series stainless is not hardenable. It is gummy to work, and most engravers won't touch it. You're better off to bite the bullet and get 416 from the States if at all possible.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:18 PM
Frank Niro

316 s.s.

316 stauinless is Not a material you want to get involved with or even try It is so difficult to work that you would almost think it would take a good cutting edge which it absolutely doen't and yet is harder to work than a hardened knife steel. It is a steel used where highly corrosive chemicals are used and especially for piping. 304 can be used but even il is more difficult to use than 416. On the other hand try to find some 304-L It is a great type for guadrs etc. It is a great material to work with ,finishes very nicely, and engravers say they like it too.The color match is rirht on for 440-c also. Frank Niro
Old 01-12-2002, 07:48 AM
C L Wilkins

Re: 316 s.s.

I used 303 exclusively in the past. Its not bad to work with and easy to find pin stock material. Living in a highly industrialized area, 316 is quite common. I am sure with the petroleum industry in the UK around Fawley and the off shore industry out of Aberdeen, Scotland, 316 is just as common there as it is here on the Texas gulf coast. It is very corrosion resistant.

The 316 SS is not what I would want to work with. It will tend to "work harden" and it is extremely rough on equipment and tools. As far as I know, none of the 300 series of stainless are hardenable.

Craig
Old 01-12-2002, 12:19 PM
andy gascoigne

Thanks everyone who replyed, i thought I would just check with you before I decide to place an order for 416 ss with Texas Knife.
It's such a pain getting suitable materials in the U.K. I think it would pay me to have a vacation over in the states and stock up for the next year!!!.

Thanks again,

Andy...
Old 01-15-2002, 11:57 PM
neil charity

G'day Andy,

I've found any of the 300 series stainless a pain in the butt to work with and like you 416 is not available in Australia in flat sheet so I started off buying it in from the US in bar stock. However I've found a substitute material that is the same as 416 and it's called 5CR12 made by Sandvick and I can buy it in 3/16" thickness in sheet form. In fact I buy a square metre of it at a time and cut off a small section. I heat treat it the same as 416 and it is a dream to work with especially compared to 316 or 316L, you can drill it, file work it and it engraves easily. I'm pretty sure that Sandvick steels would be available in the UK.

Regards from Australia.

Old 01-16-2002, 11:48 AM
JerryO13

www.steel.sandvik.com/

try looking here
Old 01-16-2002, 02:08 PM
andy gascoigne

Thanks Jerry for the link, I will contact Sandvik HQ in U.K to find a stock holder who can sell in small quantities.

Thanks Neil for the info, I found your tutorial to be of great help, far better than all the books I have. I just need to work out how to print of the tutorial in full so that I can take it into my workshop for quick referance!!.

I have started making your lock back out of Nickel silver, couldn't wait for the 416. I have made the template and have machined up one side of the knife with dovetailed bolsters.
I am using damasteel rwl-34 for the blade, lock bar and spacer. I have some nice snakewood ( expensive !!) for the scales.
I will post details when the knife is finished, but this may take some time as I will have to send the RWL-34 over to Wolf Borger in Germany to get it HT'd.
Enough rambling on,

Andy..

Old 01-16-2002, 11:27 PM
neil charity

Great Andy, I'll look forward to seeing a pic. 5CR12 is available in both sheet and plate form. RWL34 can be heat treated exactly the same as ATS34 and both are at their best when sub-zeroed after quenching.

Regards from Australia.

Old 01-17-2002, 12:41 PM
acs1943

Hi Andy
I shall be back from Germany Soon and then back again give me a shout if you need HT done by Wolf if anyone in the UK needs Heat treat done I will happly carry it to wolf Borger for you.
I will ask my supplier and see what else I can find.

all the best

Alan.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:25 PM
andy gascoigne

Thanks Alan

The blade and parts will be ready hopefully at the end of next week, I will email you direct when I'm ready to send you them.

Can you please find out how much 30cm of 3mm x 30mm, Twist Damasteel will cost.

Maybe next time you see Wolf you could talk him into getting his web site translated into English, I,m sure he is loosing a lot of business worldwide with the German only site.
Have you ever tryed and let Google search engine do a translation, Really good for a laugh!!

Buy for now...

Andy.

Tags
blade, folding knife, knife