MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 07-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Misternatural?

The creative drive

What is it?

Most "normal" people do not understand the creative drive of an artist. How can we explain it to them in a way they can understand? I find it very frustrating. I feel most people read it all wrong.

To me, the creative drive is a curse and a blessing. It seems that you either have it or you don't.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
What sucks is "Art on Demand" People come in everyday with a POS wanting it covered with a work of art twice the size for half the price in half the time. It can be a challenge and at times rewarding. But it is hard to turn on and off like a light switch. I love to tattoo, but my heart can't be in it when this new medium is occupying that space in my brain.

Old 07-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Misternatural?

For me, it is the strongest drive in my life. It is above the sex drive and even the drive to survive. Without creativity, life would not be worth living.

You can not separate the art from the artist.

"Life is art and art is life."
Old 07-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Misternatural?

All the "normal" drives are just there to support the creative drive.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
To be lured or drawn or lead by the force is pleasant. To be forced to "create" is aggravating. I know what I am saying is not the point you are making, but it gave me a little space to rant.
I am compeld to always do something. My hands need to be busy. If nothing else I doodle with a pen, braid a piece of leather,clean a pocket knife. I am always busy. But i am not always making progress. Sometimes I feels like I am doing one thing to avoid what I shoud be doing.
Right now I am sitting here typing instead of leaving for work, I have a 4 hour color session on a "Jack O' The Lantern" from the top of the shoulder to the elbo. I want to start a fire in the forge. Instead I have to go in and "turn it on" I need money to pay bills so I have to work. I need to make this tattoo show quality. The client is there, and paying for a trophy winner. One of these days I will snap. Sit in the corner and babble like an idiot. (oops too late) Well, I feel better, thanks, I'm off. Art on demand.

Old 07-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Master

I work as an artist for an advertising firm, so I can appreciate what hammerdownnow says about client's desire for you to simply "turn on" the creativity at a whims notice. But hey, I suppose it's part of the job. I don't stress about it anymore. I let it be known that my best work can be seen through my freelance projects because I have more control over them.

As for the creative drive? Ask my wife why she can wake up for work at 5 in the morning and I am still up in the garage. All I might be doing is sketching out ideas for knives, but when the ideas are flowing, even sleep doesn't matter. She understands that. I usually wind up calling in sick to the office so I can catch up on my sleep

You want a real mind blower Tai? Stay up that late with a buddy who is good with ideas too! That kind of brainstorming is good for the soul! My friends range from circuit board designers to electricians, so the ideas that get bounced back and forth are really out there! (and worth taking note on!)

Chris
Old 07-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Tai, I feel the same way as you. Its like I only think of one thing. I go to sleep with it on my mind, wake up with it on my mind. Last night I went with my wife to see the fireworks, about the only date we've been on in quite awhile. Anyway I'm watching these fire works and whats going threw my head is how I can come up with a fire work design using hot dog mustard. I tried today and even came close. I've got knives and steel on my brain 24 hours aday. If it don't have to do with either I'm not interested in the most part. One other thing is I hate trying to duplicate something I've already done. I just went threw a big bought of depression, I'm not sure what trigger it but if feel its on the way out finally. These little knives I've been making have got me going right now.....

Old 07-05-2003, 11:31 PM
Misternatural?

I've never been able to force creativity, but it seems to have a lot of conditions that have to be met first. If other things are on my mind, I have to resolve them first. It's hard for me to clear my mind to create. It's hard to focus. It's like superficially every thing is more important, but underneath it's all that matters.

When I do get into a creative mode even eating doesn't interest me.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:06 AM
Guru

Tai,

I understand about the not eating part.
Maybe fasting opens the door a bit more.

I think art is more about focusing your intent than anything else.

Something Shamans understand better than I ever will.
Call it ... bein' in the zone. for lack of a better term.
In that state I can shut the world out completely.
I have trouble figuring out what day it is, but I worry less and less about that now. It's not as important as it used to be.

I think that when your intent is focused into your work so completely and perfectly ... that some part of your being or soul becomes a part of that object.
When "knowing" people see your creation ... it strikes a mystical chord in their soul ... and a spiritual connection has been made.

So, I guess art is just you "communicating" on a deep deep level to those that need to get your message.

Tim
Old 07-06-2003, 01:07 AM

I don't think it can be explained satisfactorily to someone who hasn't experienced it in their own lives. No descriptive term is adequate. It would take a tremendous amount of sensitivity to even want to understand--really want to, and even then I'm not sure it would work. People who aren't artists don't or can't understand the artistic bent any more than one who has it can really understand those who don't don't have it. The way people think is a powerful force, and we're talking about two completely different ways of thinking. It's as different as eastern and western thought. Reality is different too for the two different groups. Ask anybody who's been in Afghanistan or Iraq lately. Rather than trying to get someone to understand the artist's life force, creative drive, however you wish to "term" it, it would probably prove more beneficial to all concerned, to get those who don't experience it, to be able to really accept it. Once acceptance has taken place, then you've got a chance at understanding.

The Afghanistan/Iraq remark is not to make light of those most serious of military conflicts--but only used to illustrate not two different cultures or religions, but two completly different ways of thinking--east vs west, which are as different as night and day.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:43 AM

I've learned to live with it as best I can. There are times though when the conflict is so great that I feel I'm being crushed. But sometimes the conflict makes us go "in there" and come back with resounding resoultion and the muse is unleashed into our best work for this part of the journey. There are definite times when I'd like to be shet of all my family ties and obligations and just walk away, but I know it won't happen. That's where "if there's no pain, it's not art" is derived. From the turmoil of conflict comes the creativity in art.
Darn we're a messed up bunch!
Crex

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-06-2003, 07:27 AM
Skilled

DEEP.............the scary thing about it is, I know the feeling. jc

GEORGIA CUSTOM KNIFEMAKERS GUILD / CHARTER MEMBER
Old 07-06-2003, 07:47 AM
Misternatural?

For me, when I don't eat and become hungry a strange and wonderful thing happens... my spirit rises up and my brain kicks in. It must be a survival mechanism.

We can transmute the lower drive and use it to fuel our creativity. We can play tricks with it.

I've had my best ideas and done my best work hungry. The hungrier the better!
Old 07-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Well crap, I guess I'm not an artist cause I've gotten alittle chubby over the years although I didn't eat lunch untill about 4 in the afternoon yesterday.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Master

This may be totally in left
field from the current topic??

But have you ever had
an ideal for a knife in your head..
But not be able to put it to paper?

Guess im just going to have
to go make it

Tags
blade, folding knife, forge, forging, knife, knives