MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 10-19-2003, 06:42 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Georgia Knifemaker's Guild Forum

Well, here we go. For starters, I want to thank Alex for setting up this forum for us. We're just getting started, but I know that this forum, as well as the rest of the forums here at the CKD, will be a HUGE help to everyone involved in getting the Georgia Knifemaker's Guild up and running. I'm sorry you couldn't make it on Saturday, Alex, but I want you to know that many of us spoke about how much this resource means to us as knifemakers. Thank you.

For those of you who weren't at the meeting on Saturday, we had 13 knifemakers, one collector, and four wives present. (If my memory serves me.) Those present were:

John and Joan Poythress
Wayne and Rebecca Hensley
John Costa
Jamey and Leila Saunders
Ken Simmons
Alvin Kinsey
Carl Rechsteiner
Kathleen Tomey
Brent Fisher
Jim Small
Manlon Guthrie
Robert Barker
Dean and Lori Gates
A. J. Walker

The diversity of experience was amazing, and the fellowship was even better. We had Jim Small, who has been making knives since the late 60's and is personally responsible for about five of the other makers present being involved in knifemaking. We had Dean Gates, who has only been making for a few months, if I remember correctly.

I also want to thank John and Joan for hosting the meeting, and for being the driving force in getting the Georgia Guild up and running. I guess they just got tired of talking about a Georgia Guild and decided to do something about it.

For those who couldn't make it, if you are interested in joining the Georgia Guild, contact Mrs. Joan at mrsjoan@bellsouth.net and she'll forward you any information you need.

The next meeting is scheduled for February 7, 2004 at the home of Kathleen Tomey. I encourage you to all mark your calendars now and clear that Saturday. We will be discussing a lot of the questions that came up at Saturday's meeting.

That's all I have. Mrs. Joan, do you have anything to add?

[EDIT]
I'm so bad with names. I'm even worse when I'm trying to remember personal details of a bunch of people I've just met. I need to apologize to Dean Gates. I said above that he had been making for a couple of months, and while that's what I thought I remembered, it's not correct. Dean's been making knives for over five years. My mistake. Sorry Dean.
[/EDIT]

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist

Last edited by Jamey Saunders; 10-23-2003 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:48 PM

Jamey it sounds like you covered it all. Below are the items Kathleen wrote down; items we discussed and items we need to discuss more. There is a lot more work to do. If you would like to be a part of the beginning of the Georiga Knifemaker's Guild please join us on Feb. 07. We will be sending directions in January.

Four things were voted on and passed by the attending group for the organization of a knifemaking guild for the state of Georgia.

1. It will be called the Georgia Knifemakers Guild
2. John Poythress was voted the acting President for the term of two more meetings to be held every 3 months {quartely}
3. A Mission Statement was written and approved.
4. Meetings will be held quartely.

The following questions are to be put to the potential members to expediate the organization of this Guild and to get a general idea of the people who will be interested in joining and supporting a group such as this:

1. Who can be members?
2. Is everyone an equal member or do we divide into knifemakers, knife collectors, other related matters etc. ?
3. Should Pres. Vice-Pres., Secretary and Treasurer be knifemakers? Board members or other offices coming from the general membership?
4. List anyone or group that you think might be interested in joining.
5. Nominate someone for the four main offices.
6. What do we want to happen at each meeting?
7. How much for dues? Should we offer a charter member fee? Should we offer a lifetime membership?
8. Do we allow members from out of state? Do they have voting rights?
9. Possible by-laws to include: {fill in}
10. State what you think this Guild can do to promote knifemaking and how we can accomplish this.

You can e-mail me your thoughts on the above questions or ponder over them and bring them with you to the Feb meeting. Everyone has an opinion and every opinion is valued.

If you were not able to attend this first meeting, we'd still like for you to come in Feb.

Below are some pictures taken by Jim, Kathleen, and myself.

The mission statement is:
"The mission of the Georgia Knifemaker's Guild is to further and foster the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests."

Last edited by mrsjoan; 10-20-2003 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Welcome aboard GKG!

You guys are off to a great start. No that everything is kinda official, we can start putting pressure on other GA knife folks to take this seriously.

I'm sorry that I couldn't make it down for the meeting. I would, though, like to offer any help and assistance that I can, and I do plan to make it to Macon in February for the next meeting, so I hope to see you all there.

Let me know if there's anything I can do, and make sure to let the other members know that you have a place to come chat over here.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 10-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to deangates Send a message via Yahoo to deangates
pop's "get together"

mrsjoan, could you refresh my memory on when pop's get together is? i'm sure it would be a good chance for some of these people to get together again.

dean gates

see my knives at :www.gatescustomknives.net
Old 10-28-2003, 09:37 PM

A few of the attendees will be up to the Trackrock Hammer-in this weekend and Iwill make sure the Guild is discussed. I just heard from Brent Fisher (Savannah), add J. Costa, K. Simmons, myself, and possibly R. Barker. Jerry Hossum will be there at least Sunday and Sandy Morrissey is always there. We should be able to get Guild some attention. The hammer-in is open to all and free. Come on up. Details available on the Outpost (back a ways).
I really feel the formation of a Georgia Guild is a positive thing for us Georgia Boys and Girls and hope that more of you will get involved and become a part. We still have a lot of ground to cover and work to do to make it "fly" but we are finally picking up some ground speed, thanks to Joan and John.
You'll never realize how valuable such an organization can be unless you get involved. Just the friendships and brain pool access are worth the effort and that's just the begining. Get on board.
Crex

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 10-31-2003, 05:02 PM

Dean if I am not mistaken Pop is shooting for December 06 to have his get together. Last time John talked with Pop that was not set in stone and he is working on it now.

Soon as John hears for sure we will make sure it gets posted here at CKD Georgia Knifemaker's Guild Forum.

John & Joan

Tags
knife, knives