MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 11-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast

New tripod.

As I mentionned in another thread, my 20+ year-old tripod had seen better days. So baby broke out and got herself a new tripod.

This is a link to my new toy: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/.../13145/lang/en

The center column can be put horizontally quickly without taking it out. I considered the carbon-fiber version....but that is overkill for what I'm doing in my "dining room table studio."

For a head, I got this:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/4432?livid=80|81&lsf=81&child=1

I was thinking of the 808 model, but the extra expense for an extra bubble and the extra spring was not worth it for me.

So...now to scrape my pennies for that monitor calibrator. Then, of course, another lens.... Toys, toys, TOYS!!!! The more you do...the more you need/want. It never ends!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:58 AM
Master

Remember - the more gadgets you have the fewer excuses you have for not making perfect photos ! Have fun.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:49 PM

Not everybody opts for using a tripod in photographing knives. There are many ways to skin a cat, as the saying goes. But I'm one who loves using tripods for all different kinds of photography. One of mine is a Manfroto very similar to yours and it's served me well. The horizontal tube mount function is useful. Here's an example:
The set-up...

The result...

What you can't see in my set-up image above is the sack of lead shot I'm using as a counter-weight, attached to the back end of the horizontal tube. You may not always need it but soon you'll figure out that to avoid unwanted reflections and spectral highlights etc. you'll have to occasionally adopt some radical angles where the weight of the camera/lens out there on the end of the horizontal tube will render the tripod unstable - thus the counter-weight.

mete is right - the more good gear you have the more folks around you will expect big results. But that's a good thing, IMO. We all need something to push us forward at times.

Hope you'll be posting some of your efforts here soon for all to see and learn from. I've appreciated seeing your images in the past. Thanks!

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 11-13-2008, 06:30 AM

Good choice, I like using a tripod since it keeps my camera in place while I fiddle with the set. It should last for many years to come.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:07 AM
Enthusiast

Buddy, neat set-up. I'm going to have to try something like that sometime.

Well, Terril, my old Slik lasted just over 20 years. So, if a Slik lasts 20 years, then a Manfrotto should last a good long time.

So, this is what I've managed to do. I'm disappointed with my plane of focus.

Knife maker, David Sylvester, JS
Photobucket
Old 11-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Master

Having nice tools available makes life easier for sure. This past weekend, I picked up a bubble level to put into the hot shoe. It is quite useful even though digitally it can be straightened easily. For film...it is a life saver. (Yup...amusingly, I put 9 rolls of 120 through a camera...what a throwback. )

Old 11-19-2008, 01:55 AM

I think the main issue is that the image is underexposed. Here's what it might look like if properly exposed.

Although it's a matter of taste to a certain extent, I prefer filling the frame more fully with the knife which can be arranged at the time the shot is made (best) or cropped in post-processing (also works).

Upon brightening the image it seems like the background may be competing with the grain in the handle. However, I really like how you positioned the knife and balanced the shadows with your lighting. Another nice looking knife by your husband!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Enthusiast

Hey, thanks for playing with my picture! I'm really honoured that you took the time to play with it. I agree with what you are saying about the texture of the background. I've been wanting to try this background out. It'll look better with a non-burl wood.

I've been finding that getting exposure right with my camera kind of tricky. What looks good on my camera's screen doesn't translate well. Next time I'm going to trust my meter and see what comes out on the 'puter.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:56 AM
Enthusiast

Spot on Buddy!!
Great improvements...I also agree with your comments about the similarity
of texture and colour of the handle material and the background.

Contrasts in all areas of visual activity are usually a helpful thing .

The original shot by Runasics was so close to being there......
So Im sure your work went down well

Barry

Barry
Old 11-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Buddy. What kind of lights are those in your setup?
Greg
Old 11-30-2008, 11:32 PM

Greg - The two larger/more powerful ones are Smith Victor 75 watt 5500 Kelvin (daylight balanced) florescent bulbs - made for photography. Each one is roughly equivalent to 500 watts of incandescent (tungsten) lighting - but much cooler, not a fire hazard and won't trip the circuit breaker when I have several in use at the same time. I occasionally, as in the case of Smaug, use smaller versions (like 27 watts or so) for additional highlighting.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks a bunch Buddy.
Greg
Old 01-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

I really love the improvements you made there, Buddy!

Thanks for the suggestion about the background. I like this backgroud's "rich" look, but I do see your point. I'm hoping that next time a light-coloured (we spell it colOUR in Canada ) simple handle this background will come through.

Tags
knife, knives