MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Registered

L6 bandsaw blade

I have come into quite a bit of what I am assuming in L6 in the form of band saw blades about 8" wide by about 20 feet long. I am having the steel analyzed to see exactly what I have but my question is there an interest for any of this? I use it almost exclusively for my Damascus billets along with 1095 but I have more than I need. Anyone have an idea what it's worth?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM

L-6 stock

I am looking for band saw Mat. how much are you pricing it for and where do you live?? thanks simo
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Registered

I'm in Portland, Or. and the price is cheap. Just covering cost. Probably a few bucks a ft depending on shipping costs. I'm open to trades too
Old 12-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Steel Addict

I would like 3 feet if you still have extra?
Dave

Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 AM

Not to cause concern, but most of the bandsaw blades that are not bimetal usually spec out as 15N20.
I recycle a lot from a friend who runs a pallet mill. We were able to varify through the mfgr. Won't make any difference in layering up damascus. Excellent stuff.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Skilled

I would like to see the results of your test on that blade. I too have a few hundred pounds of band saw material from small to large, none of it is L-6. The large I've seen at swap meets advertised as L-6 but my personal test results led me to believe that it was something close to 1070 with little alloy. I eventually found a piece with a name stenciled on it, Udderholm. A little research found that it was indeed basically 1070 with manganese and not L-6.
A second batch from another saw mill was obtained. I forged a billit from the first, second and file as a test piece. There was little or no difference in the etch between the differing blade material, the file steel was readily discernible.
I've also had (lol) a large supply of round saw mill blade. These are indeed L-6. The knives made from this material out performed the band saw and the Damascus patterns contrast was stunning.
I'm not sure where it got started that band saw was L-6, I've never seen any band saw in the catalogs that was.

I only put this out there because a smith needs to know what he's working with, and if he sells a knife he should advertise it for what it is and not something it's not.

Tags
1095, band saw, billet, blade, blades, damascus, etch, file, forged, knife, knife blade steels, knives, l6 steel, made, make, material, recycle, steel, supply