MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast

Sharpening system...opinions sought

During my daily web surfing I came across this website listed under a tutorial. Sounds interesting to me....but then I'm a newbie. Care to visit the site and give me your opinions?

http://www.handamerican.com/scary.html

Bernie

Old 12-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Scary Sharp has gotten very popular with woodworkers - esp. for sharpening chisels. It's simple and it works! This is the first time I've seen someone marketing it.

All you really need is a good, flat surface. The guy who wrote about it first used glass, so that's usually what you see. You tape down pieces of sandpaper - starting with maybe 200 grit and working your way finer until the tool is sharp. You MUST keep the edge at a constant angle, but the repetition in this method sorta trains you to do that.

The advantage is that you can end up with a very sharp edge and a smooth finish fairly quickly and without some expensive system like Tormek. The disadvantage is that you go through a bunch of sandpaper and you have to have a good variety of grits.

If you put some oil on the paper, it effectively cuts the cutting size of the grit about in half. It also makes it a lot easier to sharpen.

Go get a dull knife (like one from the kitchen) and try it out.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:44 PM

I went over this method in a recent post elesewhere, and it works better every time I do it.

I put a 320 grit belt on my seldom used 1" x 30" grinder. I used a protractor to cut out a triangular piece of leather with a perfect 22 degree angle on it. I cleaned off the appropriate place on the grinder and taped the leather to the frame where it hold the upper wheel in place. I orient the leather so the 22* point is pointing down with one side paralel to the belt.

I use the leather as a simple angle guide and lightly grind the edge one or two strokes one way and then the other (on a slack portion of the belt). I do this until I see an even burr come up along the length of the cutting edge. If the blade has a recurve, I just angle the point outward a bit using the edge of the belt to work that area.

After I get a good even burr, I very lightly drag the edge backward across a piece of paper which I have rubbed a finishing rouge into. I use little more than the wieght of the blade itself as not to round the edge. I am careful to use the proper 22* angle and have another scrap piece of leather cut at that angle to check it with. I only do this until the burr is worked off. It shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 strokes on either side.

I then lighly strope on the denim of my jeans pulled tight across my thigh.

The edge is awesome! I can shave strips of paper thinner than it is thick!

I have a Lanskys that I never even use now.

Give it a try.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-08-2005, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply guys...... really sounds like somethinng to try out...especially when compared to the price of some of the systems out there !!!
thanks again
bernie

Tags
blade, knife