MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Guru

Location: putnam county NY ....about 45 mins north of new york city
i agree with ed your looking at something close to a KSO (knife shaped object) a lot of the manufacturers use JUNK steel especially when it comes to stainless when you look at quality steel both carbon and stainless stainless is more expensive
Old 04-26-2018, 01:39 AM

Thank you ED i really appreciate your help, i didnt had the idea about this. You are right at least i gained some knowledge from you. For future i will consult you before. You are kind, regards.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Registered

I prefer carbon steel. Yet I also have stainless steel knives, It seems the 1095 carbon steels are a happy medium between ease of sharpening and edge retention. A good 1095 chrome vanadium blade holds it edge well and sharpens easily. In a wet or humid environment stainless really shines. I really don't need a knife that holds it's edge for a long time yet takes a lot of effort to sharpen when it becomes dull. Give me a blade that holds it's edge reasonably well and sharpens quickly and I'm happy.

Tags
blade, blades, ca, carbon, choose, easy, edge, forged, forging, heat, heat treatment, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knifemaking, knives, material, project, salt, simple, stainless, stainless steel, steel, stock removal, water