MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Master

KMG on order !

After a while of decision making and reading as much info as I could consume, I have decided on a KMG-8 for my 2'' x 72'' which will be replacing my 1'' x 42''. Thanx for all the great posts and info on many grinders I had also considered. Hope to get in touch again with Rob tomorow and get things all wrapped up and shipped, it will be a long 2 weeks waiting for it to arrive !!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Replacing a 1x42 with a KMG? Oh, WOW! You are going to have a pleasant surprise.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Replacing a 1x42 with a KMG? Oh, WOW! You are going to have a pleasant surprise.....
yes I know ! and eagerly wait now !!
probably finish it with a 1.5 and a variable speed just to completely change my life !!!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:29 PM

You certainly will not be disappointed. Like going from a 15 year old Lada to a brand new Caddy.
Have fun.
Steve

Old 03-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Master

The KMG has landed !

just wanted to let you know I'm at the next stage !! the KMG has landed and she is as nice as y'al had said , what a great piece of equipment , now I'm in the midst of deciding on motors etc , keep you posted and as always open to any suggestions or comments good bad or indifferent

Thanx again fellas for your input , I'm gonna loves this step up from the 1 x 42 !!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast

The KMG is truly a great machine. Ive had one for about 6 years now and have never regretted the purchase.

You should consider a ceramic glass platen for it. I tried numerous platen coverings before I happened upon a post here that mentioned it. You have to be very careful how you mount the glass to the platen but it is well worth it. Give it a try. You won't regret it!
Old 03-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Master

Any tips on how you can slide a kmg past the wife??? I have been wanting a nice belt grinder for a while now. My kmg is a Dremal!!!! lol
Old 03-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
As with most "equipment" purchases....it's sometimes tough to justify them when your in the "negotiation" phase. I'm truly blessed in that my Mrs. generally understands better than I do!

An example is: Recently I came up with a new design, with has a fully serrated blade...and was doing the serrations by hand, which equates to about 1 1/2-2 hours of hand work per blade.

I was whining about how long it was taking to do those blades by hand, and my Mrs. piped up... "Isn't there anything out there that can make it quicker and easier for you?" My response: "There is, but it's awfully spendy."

Here's the good part....once I told her how much a diamond serration wheel costs, she just looked at me and said...
"DUH! You can pay for the diamond wheel with 2 of the knives you build with it....what's the problem?"

Guess what.....I now have a diamond wheel for cutting serrations.....and it's already paid for itself several times over!

It's ironic....I'm the "knifemaker" but my Mrs. is really the "brains" of the outfit!

Congrats on the KMG! I've owned one for several years, and like you, plunking down the money was initially difficult, but when you realize how much, and how quickly the quality level (and the quantity) of your knives increases, you'll find yourself wondering why it took you so long to acquire one.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 03-24-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Tags
blade, brand, design, diamond, knife, knifemaker, knives, mount, post, tips