MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 01-15-2016, 07:15 PM
Skilled

Randall Belt Buckle on ebay

This Randall Belt Buckle made by Greg Gutcher just sold on ebay for $271.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201498893018?_mwBanner=1

It seems to be part on a limited number made. Is this what added to the value?

Here is one that I wear all the time that I paid maybe $40 bucks for. Does anyone know anything about the maker? Joe? Knuth?

Do you have Randall belt buckles to show? Would love to see them?

Regards, Samg
Old 01-16-2016, 07:59 AM

Here's one that I think is going to be hard to top. Care to take a guess who made it?

Old 01-16-2016, 03:41 PM
Skilled

Dang Ron! Where you find these rare pieces is way beyond me. Nice buckle. My guess would be the obvious, Tom Leschorn.

Regards, Samg
Old 01-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Skilled

buckles

I have one still in the box with the original bill of sale.

I also have a Joe Knuth buckle, but as always, my pics don't confirm to this #### site!

Last edited by Ta2bill; 02-12-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Skilled

more

Last edited by Ta2bill; 02-12-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samg View Post
Dang Ron! Where you find these rare pieces is way beyond me. Nice buckle. My guess would be the obvious, Tom Leschorn.

Regards, Samg
Thanks, Sam. Good guess. I believe it was done by Tom. Rick (Bowles) told me he's seen one almost identical to it that GTR owns.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Skilled

Thanks Ron.
I wonder if the buckle was originally made for a Randall family member, perhaps Bo himself? The R engraved on the front seems to be more intended as the Family initial rather than the trade Randall Made.
Just a hunch, but I wonder if it did belong to Bo?
Very cool with the trade stamp on the back. Any indication when it may have been made? Any clues left by the stamp? Using Jacks formula, perhaps a type 2 stamp, done in late 50's-mid 60's? Was Leschorn working back that early?
With the back being stamped sterling, did the shop still hot stamp it? It looks like a typical stamp.
What is your opinion of when it was made?

Regards, Sam
Old 01-17-2016, 12:52 PM

Boy you asked some good questions, Sam. Some I didn't even ask myself like the timeframe of the stamp (Maybe Jack can help me out - I haven't learned this ID method yet). Tom didn't start his involvement with the shop until 1964 if I remember right.

When I first saw it, I attributed it to Bo primarily because the "Circled R" was very similar to the carving that Bo did on one of his wooden boxes (Ref Dominique's first book on page 11 and page 10 of his second book). Also, if you look at the soldering job on the "belt loop", it was pretty sloppy, and BO had a "rep" for his soldered hilts not exactly being perfect. In any event, I plan on bring it with me when I visit the shop and hopefully get some clarity from GTR.

It looks hot stamped to me. Wouldn't be that hard given the melting temp of silver.

It occurred to me that I overlooked your question about where I got it: It was e-bay a year or two ago. It went for a price that had no relation to the object being made by either Tom or Bo. I've picked up a number of interesting Randall-related items off of ebay over the years. Here are a few others:

I think there's a decent chance that Tom did the soldering iron work: The deer scene is reminiscent of his artistry.

This one I picked up 10-11 years ago: It's an ID tag for a piece luggage or ? The printing matches up to Bo's lettering if you look at some of the items that BO made like an ivory ashtray (Ref Dominique's first book on page 200):

Also, I believe the stamp on the back is for customs purposes coming from the Belgian Congo:

Ron

Tags
art, back, bee, belt, belt loop, book, carving, engraved, hot, iron, ivory, made, randall, rare, sale, shop, show, silver, trade