MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

Taking better knife pics..

Mine have always sucked mainly because i know nothing about camera,s or photography.With a little help and some experimenting ive gotten better.

Here are some i took of a Knife a built to sell.And a bit about how i got to this point:

It was cloudy outside so there was no direct sun light.My best pics resulted from setting my camera dial to BEACH,MACRO on,FLASH off, NO tripod(yet).The other thing i tried was different backgrounds, i used a white towel (worst),a faded purple towel(a lot better) and a green and white striped cushion (best).These pics are as they came from the camera ,i have NOT done any touch ups.

This is with camera settings the same as above and a few minutes earlier using the white towel as a backdrop.Fairly large difference in quality is seen.IMO

This is from a coupla days ago similar cloudy conditions and the camera set on AUTO,and FLASH off :HUGE difference ! Im stoked !!!

Any and ALL opinions,suggestions,comment,s statement,s are appreciated.

Thanks,Bryce
Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Master

The stripes are a distraction. I find green the best background color giving excellent contrast with blades and wood. Cloudy day indirect lighting is excellent .I use my bay window for such photos. Sometimes this includes a white board to light the knife on the away from the light side.
The knife is a bit unusual as the tip is 90 * , make sure such details show. Get a tripod , it makes things easier.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Steel Addict

What I notice about the knife pics, is actually picture #1 and picture #2 are better than #3 which is underexposed. The brass pins in the handle show up the correct color vs. pic #1 where they are over exposed, pic #3 one brass pin in the shadows the other one well lit. This can all be fixed in post processing. You are on the right track to use outdoor cloudy conditions as this will give you the even light you will need without spending money on lighting.

As far as backrounds go, keep your backround simple to start with use solid colors and make sure it lays flat, say maybe a light gray color, green or a medium blue, avoid white as it's very hard to keep it a true white. You can use scraps of fabric, floor tiles, wallpaper samples, etc.. You're off to a good start just keep practicing.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input !

Tags
knife