MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 12-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast

Scandi Photo

Here are a couple pictures of a Scandi I just finished on a new and different background.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

Cal, Very Nice!!!!

chris@cbknives.com
www.cbknives.com

"If you are patient in one Moment of Anger,
You will Escape a hundred Days of Sorrow."
Old 12-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Steel Addict

Cal, I like the 1st one better. The second one is very nice in portrait mode but I think the splotch of gray on the right side of the blade is distracting / competing. You may want to try a re-shoot with the backround rotated 180 degrees. Barbara

Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Skilled

I agree with Barbara. With the background flowing the same direction as the blade it competes with the eye for attention. I like for the eye to be forced straight to the knife. Anyway great looking knife.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

Background

Barbara and Wade

I agree with your comments I rotated the background 180 degrees and still found that my eye first wanted to focus on the dark spot.

So I did another picture with the dark spot lightened, now (at least my eye) seems to be more focued on the knife.

All said and done, I still prefer the landscape shot of this knife the best

Old 12-17-2009, 10:07 PM

Good choice rotating the canvas on the portrait mode 2nd photo. I would even rotate the canvas(background) a few more degrees C/Clockwise to lose the closeness of the ink to the handle. I like the background and it's interesting, and it makes the handle color stand out.

The lack of a shadow screams "Overlay!" though. I would create a shadow, either with PS's tool, or by recreating a shadow by duplicating the layer and filling with gray, blurring, adjusting size and position, and changing opacity. There is a thread where we did that somewhere.

Bottom line: you are having fun and the knives are good and clear and interesting.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 12-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop View Post
Good choice rotating the canvas on the portrait mode 2nd photo. I would even rotate the canvas(background) a few more degrees C/Clockwise to lose the closeness of the ink to the handle. I like the background and it's interesting, and it makes the handle color stand out.

The lack of a shadow screams "Overlay!" though. I would create a shadow, either with PS's tool, or by recreating a shadow by duplicating the layer and filling with gray, blurring, adjusting size and position, and changing opacity. There is a thread where we did that somewhere.

Bottom line: you are having fun and the knives are good and clear and interesting.

Coop
Coop, thanks for the comments. I tried finding that thread but nothing popped up in the search.
Will keep looking.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Hi Cal,

I couldn't find it either. Maybe I was discussing this somewhere else?

Anyway, I did a quick job of what I was referring to. Take a look at both:

Now the same photo with my created shadow:

Not perfect, but for the uninitiated it looks quickly plausible.

• I selected the knife from the background with the polygonal lasso tool
  • Created a layer from it
  • Duplicated that layer
  • Filled the new layer with dark gray (paint bucket tool)
  • Moved the layer under the original
  • used the Gassian blur filter to spread it out
  • transformed (ctrl-T) the layer to my liking (less distance at the tip than the butt, and moved away)
  • Changed the opacity of the layer

You could have also gone to the layer adjustments panel and given it a drop shadow using their adjustments. That's real easy, but it aligns the shadow equally along the whole length of the blade. It's a preference thing.

Give it a try and post.

### Looking at this, I wish I had used a dark brown instead of grey.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Last edited by SharpByCoop; 12-18-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast

Coop, thanks for the info.
Here is my first try at a shadow. Should have been darker?

Last edited by Cal Ganshorn; 12-18-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:07 PM

Hi Cal,

No the opacity looks good. But what I see is it's bleeding around both sides of the knife. Real shadows don't do that. One direction.

Probably just a bit too much blur or spread. Still good work. How did you accomplish this?

Coop

Old 12-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi Cal,

No the opacity looks good. But what I see is it's bleeding around both sides of the knife. Real shadows don't do that. One direction.

Probably just a bit too much blur or spread. Still good work. How did you accomplish this?

Coop
Just followed your instructions.
I used a dark brown instead of grey for the shadow. I also noticed the BLEEDING around the handle,don't know why.
On the new layer I only applied the dark brown to the bottom edge of the blade and handle so I guess it must have had to much blur and it "crawled around". Your instructions said, Transformed (ctrl-T)the layer to my liking (less distance at the tip than at the butt,and moved away)
I couldn't quite figure that out. So I just put the shadow where I wanted it when I painted the layer with the brown. Then applied the Gassian blur filter to that layer.
At least I know how to do it now and will practice at bit more.

I would just like to say thanks to all the people on this forms that help,guide and pass on their knowledge to others. I try to do this with new knife makers and it truly is a good feeling to watch people grow in knowledge and experience.

Thank you.

Last edited by Cal Ganshorn; 12-19-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

Removing Blur

Coop, I went in and edited the picture.
I simply opened the blur layer,took the eraser and removed the Blur from the top of the knife. There has to be a better way to do this because now I can see some blur on the sharpened edge of the blade.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:56 PM

Cal, you're a sharp learner. That's a good job you salvaged. Smart with the eraser. I didn't admit, but I did a little erasing in my own version. (Some techniques just get done in private. ) The closer the shadow is to the background or object, the darker the distinction. I softened up the tail end of mine to look less bold.

It really looks plausible, and now you have this ability with EVERY background imaginable.

All that said: I find the usage of real backgrounds and actual shadows the most useful to me. It takes a lot of time to extract an outline of a knife and do all this duplicating, blurring, etc.

Here is the real deal:

Yes, there is some trickery going on. Why the hell is that knife elevated? Because it adds depth. (Shhhhhh.....)

Coop

Old 12-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast

Wink

Quote:
Cal, you're a sharp learner. That's a good job you salvaged. Smart with the eraser. I didn't admit, but I did a little erasing in my own version. (Some techniques just get done in private. ) The closer the shadow is to the background or object, the darker the distinction. I softened up the tail end of mine to look less bold.

It really looks plausible, and now you have this ability with EVERY background imaginable.

All that said: I find the usage of real backgrounds and actual shadows the most useful to me. It takes a lot of time to extract an outline of a knife and do all this duplicating, blurring, etc.

Here is the real deal:

Yes, there is some trickery going on. Why the hell is that knife elevated? Because it adds depth. (Shhhhhh.....)

Coop
Thanks for the tips.

Tags
blade, cancer, custom, forging, hunting, knife, knives, mount, supplies