MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Medical update on me

About a month ago I had a kidney stone....during the CT scan on that, the Docs found a "nodule" on the upper portion of my right lung. As a follow-up today, I went in for a PET scan which is generally used to determine if a person has cancer. The results showed that the nodule on my lung is "very mildly" positive. What does that mean?? Well, according to the Doc, it means that there is only about a 20% chance that the nodule is cancerous. The Doc also said that either way, it needs to come out because something like this could turn cancerous quickly.
So, now I have an appointment next week with a surgeon to discuss this thing, and likely plan a surgery. Today they told me that they would biopsy the thing right in the O.R., and that if its not cancerous they would only remove the nodule. If the biopsy shows cancer, they would removed the whole upper lobe of my right lung, which equals about 40% of that lung. From what the Doc said today, its likely that I would only be in the hospital for a day or two, then should be fully recovered within 4-6 months. The up side is that they also did a lung function test on me, and say that my lung function is about 90%, which is suppose to be very good for someone who is 46.

Now that I've given the report, I've got to give a bit of testimony too. I never passed that 5.5mm kidney stone that showed up on my first CT scan...the second CT scan showed there was no kidney stone, and was what reveled the lung thing. I've been pretty wrapped around the axle with this for the past week, ever since I learned that they were going to do the PET Scan, mainly because my father had a PET Scan, and the results of that one were "we can't do anything for you, its too far along." All through the last week I said a lot of prayers, and asked God to give me a sign that everything was going to be OK. Well, today when I got to the hospital for the PET Scan, the lady that came to get me, and conduct the scan, was one of the ladys that I go to church with.....WOW! Talk about an answered prayer! I admit that I'm still a little spooked, and can use all the prayers you folks can offer, but I now know that everything is going to work out, and that I'm going to be around for a while to come.

Thanks to all of you who knew about this, and sent up prayers on my behalf. I love every one of you!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Skilled

Hi Ed, we will be praying that they only have to take out the nodule! Glad that you got somewhat good news, at least it aint bad news. Talk to you soon.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Steel Addict

Good luck Ed. The testing and waiting for the results can really work on ones nerves. As far as the stone it could be in your bladder 5.5 mm is about a 1/4". I have had stones also. 2nd opinions never hurt either. Its good they will biopsy the nodule first. Again best of luck.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Steel Addict

Best of luck ED!!. Keep us posted. Prayer continues to be sent your way. Hope that they will only have to remove the nodule.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 PM

Good Luck and Best Wishes

ABS Journeyman Smith

www.petecrowlknives.com
Old 10-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Even if it does turn out to be cancer, it looks like you caught it at an early stage which is a big plus. Looks like that stone might have been a bit of good luck in disquise. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the pathology report comes up benign. Remember, you aren't your father and neither is your nodule your father's nodule. Keep us posted. I know that it's rediculus to tell you not to worry, just try not to get all wound up about it.

Doug Lester

Last edited by Doug Lester; 10-20-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Skilled

Ed,
You know our prayers have been with you. Keep us posted.

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Skilled

Thank you for the update Ed, you know our prayers are with you.

Julie
Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast

I'll be thinking about you Ed. Hang in there. Think about the next hunting trip and not the medical issues.

Alden
Old 10-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

You're in our prayers, Ed.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Ed
You and your Family are in our thoughts and prayers. Faith in God can make all things possible.

Mike

Old 10-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Master

Thanks for the update Ed, positive thoughts and prayers from way out in left field here. Get going on that 'rough' work, so you don't go batty while ignoring the doc's orders. Let me know if you'd like any distractions from this neck of the woods.

Take care, Craig
Old 10-21-2009, 02:43 AM

Good luck ED. Power of positive thinking...

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 10-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Skilled

Ed , you as well as your family ,are in our prayers. God does things that doctors dont know how to do. Hang in there brother. Trav

Old 10-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Steel Addict

Ed, We will continue to pray for a your full recovery and that the Lords will be done. Take care Buddy.

Jim

Tags
forge, knife, knives