MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Skilled

Re-sawing services?

Hi gang,

I've got some blocks of curly koa I'm about to send off to WSSI for stablizing and
once back I'll need to have the blocks re-sawn into scales for some (20!) steak knives.
The scales need to be fairly thin (+/- 3/16"). I hate to try this on my band saw and was
hoping someone knew of a place that offers such a service.

Also, I usually buy my wood from good old Chuck Bybee but I was wondering if anyone
has ever bought stuff from Bob's Exotics Woods (ebay and their website). I ran across
this site a while back and have been meaning to run this by you all.

Thanks!
Dana
Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Skilled

Dana,
I send a lot of maple to Mike at WSSI. Here is my recipe for resawing. I only send blocks to be stabilized.
1. Over size blocks around 7/8" thick sent to Mike.
2. If I'm going to resaw for slabs I will square up on the disc sander.
3. Then I take the block to my table saw.
4. Set rip fence to 5/16"or 3/8" depending on what the specific requirements might be.

One thing that I have found out is to use a very good quality carbide sharp table saw blade. Be careful when ripping scales. I have 2 push sticks that were made from scrap wood. 1 push stick for the top of block and 1 for the side that is going to drop of the blade.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. But you might find someone local with a good quality table saw.

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Master

Hi Dana,
I'd look up the custom woodworkers/cabinet makers in your area and call one or two. If they can't do it, they'd probably have a name of someone who would.

While it's at the stabilizer, maybe practice on some poplar and see if you can do it anyway.

Good luck with it, Craig
Old 02-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Skilled

Dana, personally I would not worry about cutting up those blocks. Although I will say that I have not sliced up any blocks that have been stabilized before, but have done a bunch before from just plain old wood. If you have a table saw you can do it with that. They have some really great carbide blades that are real thin to keep the waste down. I have seen a couple before that are almost as thin as a band saw blade. If you have a band saw it is pretty easy to make an adjustable fence and cut them up on it where the 3/16th piece is on the outside of the blade.

I have bought a couple of pieces from Bobs Exotics before and they looked pretty good and the price was resonable. I have not had a chance to use the scales yet, but they did seem to be ok. Hope that helps some.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Skilled

Thanks Bing, Craig and Wade....

Maybe I'll venture over to the hardware store and look for a really thin carbide
blade for my table saw. I've tried cutting thin slabs of stablized blocks before with my
bandsaw and could not get very good/consistant results.

These koa blocks I got from Bob's are really nice and the cost was fairly reasonable,
but by the time I send them off to WSSI and pay for stablizing, the scales
I make from the blocks are going to be pretty pricey.

Thanks for help/suggestion guys!

Dana
Old 02-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Master

Dana, if you retry the bandsaw, crank up the tension and be patient. If the motor bogs a bit things are more likely to drift. If you get a new bandsaw blade, see if there's one that's narrower front to back than what you're using so that you can up the tension relative to the blade.

Even with a thin table saw blade, your blocks may seem like they go away quickly, and the advantage to the bandsaw is a chance to book match the grain. You forge out the steak knives, what steel?

Best of luck, Craig
Old 02-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Steel Addict

Dana, look at Timberwolf bandsaw blades for resawing. A 1/2" with 3 or 4 TPI works great.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Skilled

Thanks Mike!

I'll go take a look-see.

Much appreciated !

Dana

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives