MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Registered

Induction Forges

Hi all, I was hoping to pick some of your brains and help me with a surprise. My husband has wanted to pick up blacksmithing for as long as I've known him but with babies in the house and limited space its always something that's been on the back burner.

Lately however I've seen him looking at induction forges and I have to say I've been pretty impressed with the safety and lack of heat I've seen with them. His birthday is coming up and I'd love to surprise him... what all would he need to get started? He has a shoemaker anvil and a hammer and that's about it.

Any suggestions, tips, links, help etc to make this a b-day he'll never forget?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:34 AM

Needs a much more substantial anvil and 20 or more hammers, tongs, etc. Give him the money and a catalog to Blacksmith Depot in NC. Those induction forges are really something almost "alchemy" to most of us older smiths.
Buying tools for a man is tough doing for anyone. However, you're on the right track to keep him happy for sure....you got an unmarried sister? (Kidding of course! My wife lets me pick my own apples so to speak).

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
anvil, back, bee, blacksmith, blacksmithing, forge, forging, hammer, heat, induction, man, tips, tools