MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 PM

My First Sheath: Comments Please

Hi everyone. After buying Paul's and Chuck's DVDs, watcihng them a bunch of times, reading through many posts here, and a numerous questions to Paul (thanks for putting up with all my newbie questions, Paul!), I finally made my first sheath!

I used my Kephart pattern knife for the sheath, and overall I am pretty happy with the effort. The knife fits the sheath like a glove, I think I did alright with the stitching, and was able to keep the basketweave tooling relatively straight. So I will count this effort as a success.

But there is definitely a ton of room for improvement, as well. As you can see in the pictures above, the basketweave impressions did get lighter toward the tip of the sheath, and I think I should have used more force with striking the border stamp with my maul as the border does not stand out as much as the basketweave. The next picture also shows that I still don't quite have a handle on using the creasing tool either. I'll have to work on that for sure.

I am also using inexpensive belly skirting leather for my first learning efforts, and that along with the 11oz. to 12oz. thickness also added to some difficulties. This knife isn't that big, and I had a hard time bending the pouch into the final shape. I ended up having to cut a series of gouge grooves inside the sheath to get it to bend to shape. Also, the swivel knife border cut around the tooling opened up when the pouch was folding. I am thinking this had to do with the belly leather lacking the strenght to keep the fibers together. Or maybe this would have happened no matter what leather I used? Maybe I should have ended the tooling before getting into the high stress zone of the bend.

Also this leather seemed kind of "spongey", pretty rough on the flesh side, and seemed really hard to sand. The next pic of the welt show some marks for the sanding (I guess I burned the leather a little). Anyone have any thoughts on how to avoid this?

Hopefully better leather that is more in the 7oz. to 8oz. range will be easier to work and fold.

The other issue I had, besides needing work on my backside stitching, was that I marked the rear of the sheath from clamping in my stitching pony I made. You can see the marks in the picture below.

And here is my stitching pony. I did glue leather in the jaws, but that obvioulsy wasn't enough. I did clamp down pretty tightly, as the sheath kept slipping when I stabbed holes with the awl. Any thoughts on how to clamp down good without leaving marks?

Please do post any other comments you might have, whether about the design or the execution. I want to improve and appreciate any thoughts anyone wants to share.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by RNKdobe; 02-21-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Steel Addict

I personally use 7/8 oz leather for sheaths. It is heavy enough for sheaths. Looks good for a first one . you are an apt student.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast

Man...it looks GREAT!!! looks like you've been doing it for years...
Old 02-22-2011, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the comments and encouragement! I think I need to go ahead and spring for a side of good 8 oz. leather. Seems to be the weight most everyone is using for smaller fixed blade knives which is what I will probably be making sheaths for, for now. Try to get good with the basics of a pouch sheath before doing anything more complicated.

Thanks agian.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

If you bought Paul's and Chuck's videos, you've got the very best teachers there are!

I think it looks very good - clean and attractive. Doesn't look like a "first". Hopefully one of the pros can give you really constructive advice. The only thing I saw that could use some work is on the edges.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Hall of Famer

That's outstanding for a first sheath. You did and excellent job of keeping the basket weave straight. A great job of stamping all the way around.

Doug Lester

Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJack View Post
If you bought Paul's and Chuck's videos, you've got the very best teachers there are!
I couldn't agree more! And if anyone else is new like me and wondering which DVDs they should get, I urge you to get both. There are enough differences between Chuck's and Paul's techniques that both sets are very helpful. And I'll be working on those edges, too.

Doug, thanks for the compliment. I got the basketweave stamp from Wayne Jueschke, and it was a joy to use. Very easy to line up correctly, and a super crisp nicely designed pattern. I'll be getting more stamps from Wayne for sure.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Skilled

I would have guessed that was your 50th sheath.... nice work!

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
Check it out and Subscribe!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Skilled

A very very good first effort. It shows that you did pay attention to the DVDs. The areas in which you noted problems are and were great learning opportunities. What you learn from a mistake or omission tends to stay with you.

First, now get some decent leather in about 7/8 oz. As you know I recommend Wicket&Craig, but anything except import or belly leather is an improvement.

Any cut lines at or near the fold line area on a pouch sheath should be at 50% or less of normal depth and then beveled a little less deeply as well, but by now you have figured that out for yourself. You can minimize this problem by moving the cut line about 1/2" to the right or left of the actual center line depending on whether it is a right or left hand sheath. (to the right for right hand sheath, and left for left) This moves your cut line off the hard bend area.

Your alignment of the basket weave is near perfect, keep it up just that way! In fact your tooling in general is excellent.

Continue to review all the DVDs. You'll nearly always see something new you had missed.

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net

Last edited by sheathmaker; 02-25-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Thanks for your comments, Paul, and especially about how to solve the split edge at the tooling border cut. I *might* have figured it out on my own at some point, but your suggestions have certainly saved me some leather in the learning process! And yep, time to spring for some good leather. I'll be giving W&C a call on Monday.

BTW, just got the call from Danny telling me my head knife is ready. Not a minute too soon either. I won't miss having to use a utility knife!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

As others have noted very nicely done overall and glad the DVD(s) helped......

As for the edge problems and other minor foibles most of that is due to the spongy belly material which you already know - using firmer leather should also help prevent marks from the pony - you can also get some firm foam padding (3/8-1/2") like used for backpacking pads and use it to prevent marks.

And Paul nailed it regarding the cuts on the fold opening up.......

the rest is just practice, practice, practice......of course practicing the good stuff is what counts LOL!

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:31 PM

Thanks, Chuck. Your help is much appreciated! A side of W&C skirting has been ordered, and I'll use any belly leather for practicing my stitching and swivel/head knives use. Concerning the marks from the stitching pony, it also occurred to me that I never beveled the leather edges on the clamp, so I have hit the leading edges with my beveler, and further smoothed them with some sandpaper. If I still get marks I will follow your suggestion and add some foam.

Thanks again!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:46 AM

Hi Bob, the sheath looks great and most folk would be quite happy to carry it.

Only comment I could make, and it is not to do with your work but your attitude.

I would have grave problems with anyone, no matter how long at a trade, who said

"I am great and my work is fabulous"

Your attitude is superb and that is what will make you improve in your quest for perfection.

Take care Sir.

Ken
Old 04-27-2011, 12:29 AM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Ken, when one first reads your comments it sounds as if you were admonishing Bob for being on an ego trip. I am sure that was not your intention as the work that this man has done is worthy of the highest praise. Could you rephrase your statement so it comes across as a compliment instead of a negative?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:39 AM

Guys, I can only apologise if my remarks were taken as anything but highly complimentary.
My point was that Bob is so self deprecating about his work, almost as if he is apologising.
His work is superb and I felt his attitude is wonderfull. He seems to find fault in all aspects of his work even though most of us would not see it.
People who think their own work is perfect tend not to improve and they stop searching. Bob will continue to strive for even better results and surely that will lead him to even better.
This, and my other post were meant to show how great I think, not only his work but his attitude, and I am bitterly upset if I sounded otherwise.

Tags
advice, antler, arbor, art, bee, blade, brand, drill, edge, fixed blade, hunting knife, jig, knife, knifemaker, knives, leather, made, newbie, plastic, post, press, sand, sheath, tools