MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:22 PM

tanning beaver tails?

Can anyone suggest a method for tanning out beaver tail leather? Is there somewhere I can buy a particular solution or should I just go about tanning them out like regular cowhide? Any suggestions or guidance on this will be greatly appreciated.

I am getting some raw hides but need to finish them out. I want ot use them for sheaths and inlays.

Thanks in advance,
SDS
Old 04-17-2008, 06:22 AM

Should tan nicely just the same as any mammal hide. Just make sure you get all the fat, there's a lot, off before starting treatment.
Eat the tail! Good winter fattening food - ask any Oglala.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Steel Addict

I've had good luck using Borax.Tack the tail to a board and spread Borax over the flesh side.It is not fast working but it does work.Like Crex said make sure you get ALL the fat off and it does not come off easily.One more thing,ice cream is a good winter fattening food too,beaver tail tastes like s#@t,unless I just cooked it wrong.Moon
Old 04-17-2008, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Moon, I had to laugh out loud at what you said. Reminds me of what a guy told me about a fish I had caught out in San Diego. I didn't know anything about saltwater fish and asked him what it was and then if I could eat it. He told me it was a skate (kind of like a stingray?) and yes, I could eat it. Then as he was walking away I heard him say "it tastes like $#!^ but you can eat it."

I figured beaver tails aren't something you see very often used in sheaths and I like things that are a little different.

Thanks again,
SDS
Old 04-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Skilled

I can see I missed the jist of your original post as I was going to suggest sun glasses and a beach chair. If you are successful in the tanning process, you'll have a new found respect for the pre tanned tails for sale at leather shows.

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 04-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Steel Addict

Actually skate tastes pretty good, a lot like scallops
Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 PM

I have a feeling this is going to be more work than I suspected but I'm still up for giving it a try.

Fishguy, where were you when I needed to know that?? I'm not too likely to be catching any more of those here in Oklahoma. I guess I'll just take your word on the taste.

SDS
Old 04-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheathmaker
I was going to suggest sun glasses and a beach chair

Paul
That works pretty good, I've seen several nice looking tails that had been tanned that way.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:01 AM

Paul/Cliff
I would think it hard to catch the "webchair" pattern on the beach tanned tails in a normal sized sheath!
Moon - Yep, must of cooked it wrong, however it is an acquired taste.
Fishguy's right. I sat on a dock down near Alligator Point (up Och. Bay) and watched a little Phillipino lady busily cookie-cutting plugs out of a large pile of skates with a short chunk of sharpened pipe and a mallet. Asked her if it was for bait and she just grinned. Then I noticed the sign on her van - "Feshest Seafood on the Point" - "Bay Scallops Our Speciality!" (they weren't going in old bait containers bubba).

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Registered

Pull up wasco and go to forums. They have quite a few step by step in detail posts on tanning beaver tails and everything else you want to tan. Hope this helps
Old 06-14-2008, 09:45 PM

Wow, there is some great info at that site. Thanks for the tip. Looks like there is a product called Krowtann that is the new do it all solution. Everyone seems to be raving about it. I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks again.
SDS