MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinNC View Post
Well. this sounds kinda shady to me.
Yea it does...unless you verify my info/story. If anyone wants they can ask me by private message my name and the agency I work for and I will let them know. If you want you can look up the agency and call to verify. Heck...go on ebay/GB and I'll respond to messages on there from my accounts verifying it. Heck....ask me what to verify and I will.

Here's the original thread when I tried to ID it on bladeforums: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ase-ADDED-PICS!

Also search my profile for started threads and you will see other knives I have tried to ID that I received in the auctions.

Last edited by Raiderbeater; 01-27-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:52 PM

If anyone wants they can contact Jared Oeser. He is a popular custom knife maker who I've dealt with (J. Oeser knives). He has a website and I've gotten one of his knives before. We had a happy ending and he already had his ins claim paid out on it. He can vouch if anyone wants to contact him and ask him about the situation. We had a nice friendly conversation on the phone.

Also returned a personalized engraved Franklin Mint Eagle Scout knife to a kids parents in Richmond Hill, Georgia. It's Troop 400 if anyone wants to take the time to call or dig. Happened in mid 2012 to a kid from that troop that became an Eagle Scout.

That one I sent back on my own dime because I wanted to. I don't know why people expect me to make a business (or lack theroff) of doing it.

Last edited by Raiderbeater; 01-27-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Hall of Famer

First of all. I don't have a dog in this fight. i do know and have great respect for Barry. If he hasn't given you the claim # I feel there is a reason. I do feel the knife is stolen property and should be treated as such. It was stolen by the USPS and not by you. This I see as a very simple case. If I give or pay someone to deliver an item and they loose that item, only to sell it at a later date that is theft. Now to my point. Tho you are at no fault , you are in possession of stolen property. Which by law should be returned to the rightful owner. Barry made a claim to the post office, he was told it couldn't be found. Apparently they didn't check their own Lost and Found. I know this doesn't sound right to the guy who bought it , But the knife is Barry's. If you are a business man .You know that property that is stolen can be recovered and returned to the rightful owner, Who-ever purchased that stolen property is just screwed.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 AM

As a police office I know that is true in circumstances of theft. The issue is this isn't theft. The last thing I am saying is Barry is a bad guy....just justifiably skeptical. Yet no one has emailed/IM'd or asked me my name and agency or any info to verify my story or who I am. The point I'm trying to make by posting in public setting after all this time is that I am not some Joe that happened along onto a random post online and decided to make a huge elaborate hoax for a few hundred bucks. Has anyone talked to Jared Oeser? Has anyone looked me up on ebay or gunbroker? Asked me by email or IM who I work for and my name? Barry already knows my name.

The stuff being stolen by the post office? No. The PO loses thousands of items a month and the Postal Police are present for the monthly auctions of around $800,000+ of merchandise per month from their Fulton Industrial Blvd MRC warehouse. Atlanta PD runs their k-9 through on a weekly basis to locate any possible dope that was hidden in parcels before they were auctioned. Theft? Hardly. When you as a customer place an item in the mail or purchase postage please read the policies guidlines of the PO for use of postage.

If I bought this off some guy that broke into Barry's house? I'm SOL.

Barry shipped this through the USPS...being required to agree to their policy (by purchasing USPS postage/insurance) that the item could be forfeited if lost and he would be required to file a insurance claim. It was lost and his possession of the item ended with that....just like Barry agreed. He now has a right to file a claim and get his money....which they are refusing because someone scanned and delivered an empty box to his customer.

This is the last public post I will be writing unless someone wants to email/IM me for more info. I'll leave this picture of me at my job from google from a few years ago. Still at the same place if anyone wants to check up. Here's the link....my initials are KNC...should be able to figure it out with the names listed.

I'll meet with MRC Manager Lionel Snow this upcoming auction and see if he will be able to do something for Barry.....whether they will honor his claim if they can look it up or just compensate me for the knife if they can find his claim without the claim number....they have done similar in the past with others...but they had the claim number. We'll see.

Last edited by Raiderbeater; 01-28-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderbeater View Post
Sorry to revive this but I need to add some information.

I have this knife. I have been in contact with Barry who was denied his insurance claim after calling him a few months ago advising him I got it. The USPS denied his claim based of them saying it was delivered....the empty box.

It was bought by me from the USPS Mail Recovery Center in Atlanta (everything in the USA that gets lost/damaged/claim payed is auctioned off here in large catagorized lots) in a large box of assorted knives. I have been a known buyer there for the last three years and generally buy knives/accessories. Most of the knives I get are chinese junk that are sold to flea market sellers. Every now and then I find some good knives. I found this knife that had the Jones Brothers logo on it and (as a member on bladeforums.com) posted it looking for info. I received word it was a Jones brothers logo and googled....finally finding this thread.

I paid several thousand dollars for the box of knives this came in and am an ebay power seller with over 2000+ feedback under this "Raiderbeater" name. I am also a 2100+ feedback seller on gunbroker.com under kncook. I also have tons of feedback in the EE on AR15.com under kncook. I am a 9 year veteran Sheriffs Deputy at a larger agency in metro Atlanta and have my own S-corp business named Raider Tactical Inc.

I had originally notified Barry how I came by the knife fully expecting some skepticism for his good luck. I sent him both a picture of the knife as well as a copy of the USPS MRC receipt from the auction I bought it at. I advised him to let me know if the USPS honors his claim and to call me if he had trouble getting them to pay him....as I have the ability to prove to them that they lost the knife.

I did not have any contact with Barry for several months and called him the other day to see how the process was going. He advised me the claim was denied (as the empty box was scanned on delivery) and he had no options. I had originally asked if I could get them to pay out his insurance money if we could swing a deal and I would send the knife back to him (the one I bought) for the amount he insured it. That way everyone wins. He gets paid by the USPS, I get paid for my knife, and he gets his old knife back with no one paying anything except the USPS who lost it.

During our recent phone call Barry asks why I'm holding HIS knife hostage. I politely advised him that the knife is owned by me. He adhered to the USPS policies/risks for shipping the knife through the mail and is getting screwed by the USPS because they delivered the empty box to his customer....so no ins payout. I again advise him to get me the claim number so I can get the USPS to pay out his claim of over $650 to him. I talk to the USPS MRC manager weekly and have the receipt. Situations like this happen often at the MRC as buyers resell different merchandise and come across previous owners. He has yet to do any of this...all I need is just a claim number to help him. If he decides to keep the money, it's his....more power to him. If he decides to purchase the knife back from me....great. I was holding the thing waiting on him the whole time. If he decides against letting me get his money back that's his choice. If he decides to demand I give him my knife.....uh...no.

I have tried working with him but have gotten nowhere. I still have the knife and if he decides to get the non-personal info I need from him great....my offer is still good. If not....then someone else my purchase my knife if I decide to sell it (Not advertising here....will not sell at this time).
. If you recall, at the very end of our last conversation I told you I would get you the information but I had to dig thru some stuff to find it. You then decide to come in here and post this AFTER that phone conversation. I guess I wasn't moving fast enough for you.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:31 PM

I have to get this off my chest.......

If I, being a regular Joe Citizen, end up with someone else' property in my possession it is considered Possession of Stolen Good/Property and I can have legal action brought against me. But, if the US Postal Service loses someone else' property, then finds said property but fails to mention that to the RIGHTFUL owner, and then proceeds to sell said property which rightfully does not belong to the USPS it is Kosher? Then, the person on the receiving end of that "stolen" property is now considered the legal owner of it?

IMO, that's bull####. It's nothing more then legalized, organized crime.

Last edited by Barry Jones; 01-29-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 PM

Barry, the reason I put it out publicly is because of the beginning of our second conversation...being accused of "Holding my knife hostage" by you (which was the first time our conversation took a confrontational tone). This is after I had asked you to let me know if there was any trouble MONTHS ago with USPS paying your RIGHTFUL CLAIM AGAINST THEM. I asked again this time and several days passed....AFTER the first several months. I assumed I would not get a call back just like the first time around. I came here to clear the air about the knife since I wasn't just going to throw it in the trash. My beef is not with you Barry, and yours shouldn't be with me....a person who dropped several grand on a box of knives (you have the receipt) that happens to find one that he attempts to reunite with the ORIGINAL owner. The "right thing" for us to do would be to force the USPS to hold their end of the bargain with you and pay your claim. If you decide not to have any more contact with me thats fine. As far as me trying to get your claim paid I will speak with Lionel Snow....as I said., with or without a claim number (although one would GREATLY help).

If you as a citizen (or cop, or Queen of England, or any other person) come into possession of property that was forfeited by the original owner due to his willful acceptance of risk through either a business transaction or acceptance of terms of risk then it's a bit different than a burglar selling it out of his jacket at a gas station.

Last edited by Raiderbeater; 01-29-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Master

Send a message via MSN to ArtinNC
I see is there is something Un-ethical going on here.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinNC View Post
I see is there is something Un-ethical going on here.
Yep...the post office trying to screw over your friend Barry.

I've also been IMing Ranger1....and now he wants to try the auction out one day....unethical.

Last edited by Raiderbeater; 01-29-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM

Lost-Stolen
tomato-tomato
potato-potato

its all the same
FACT is you have a knife you KNOW belongs to somebody and you want them to pay you for its return. IMO makes you no better than a thief, but as you pointed out what you are doing is "legal"
Old 01-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Master

Send a message via MSN to ArtinNC
Yes !! unethical.!!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Master

Sorry to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, but maybe I'm missing something?

Why isn't the post office coughing up $$$ in this situation? They seem to be the ones at fault

Last edited by Eli Jensen; 01-30-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 PM

I don't have a dog in the fight.
Raider you are in a tough spot my friend, if you give him back the knife you lose the $$. If you don't give him the knife there is no doubt you are gonna lose some character points with some folks.
I sure hope the USPS does the right thing for everyone involved and pay the claim!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 AM
Steel Addict

As a regular Joe citizen if I were to have in my possession something stolen I could and probably would be charged with possession of stolen goods. Even if I bought them and had a receipt. The fact they were stolen would supersede my legal purchase of them. I sure hope you guys get this worked out!

Proud member of PETA....People Eating Tasty Animals
There is a place for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 AM
Steel Addict

A general rule of law is that a thief can't pass better title than he has. In other words, title to the knife doesn't pass to the buyer. As I understand it, a postal insurance claim is available only to the original sender and 30 days must pass before an investigation is even started.

If a package is delivered and signed for---without signs of tampering or damage---it is ASSUMED that the items are in the package. It would lead to easy fraud to have it otherwise.

My .02 and without a dog in this fight is that the buyer should have been diligent in pursuing and protecting his legal right. It is my understanding that this SAME knife (and that's an important legal point) was bought along with a bunch of other knives in a "lot" of knives. Doesn't change a thing, even though the seller had no idea the knife was stolen. If the local cops get involved (and this is a big stretch) the seller could get charged with receiving stolen property. It happens all the time.

IF this is the same stolen knife, it should be returned and any remedies should be pursued by the seller.

This is a general discussion. Your state may differ. ...Teddy

Last edited by smithy; 01-31-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: clarity

Tags
back, bee, beginning, blade, collecting, custom, custom knife, easy, file, forge, hidden, knife, knives, made, make, man, package, post, simple, tactical, throw