MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:51 PM

New guy here.

Brand new to knife making. I got started on a "Pinterest" idea. I cut a blank out of a scrap metal saw. I would like to post a picture but can't figure out how.
Cheers, Elliot
Old 02-01-2019, 06:04 AM

Welcome to the KNF. Congrats on your first knife. You will get much more detailed and expert information here than on P'trst, so brace yourself.
There's a bit of a "vetting" period for new members on KNF. Be patient. Maybe Ray will step in and explain it better.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-01-2019, 06:23 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

As Carl mention, there is a short vetting period. Just participate for a while and then you'll be allowed to post pics. To post a pic, choose the Go Advanced button that is below the box we're typing in. On that screen choose the Manage Attachments button and follow the prompts to load your picture.

To get the ball rolling on your participation, tell us about that saw blade - exactly what type of saw blade was it?

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Steel Addict

You could also upload the image to imgur and then paste the bb link directly in the message. Thats what i do.

Did you do your own ht or is a sawblade by default hard enough for a knife?
Old 02-01-2019, 10:22 PM
Master

Welcome Elliot!
Lots of fun ahead.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:50 PM
Steel Addict

Welcome

Old 02-04-2019, 09:53 PM

The saw blade is from my large circular metal saw. (One of my other hobbies is welding). I cut it out with my angle grinder. I did some sharpening on it tonight and it seems to take an edge pretty well but then what do I know? I sharpened a GI folding knife when I was in the Air Force loooong ago. I stropped it on my leather boot, then on a piece of glass. I could shave the hair off my arm with it. I was cutting a seal off a hydraulic fitting and unfortunately almost cut my finger tip off. I gave the knife to someone I didn't like much. I don't know much about annealing or hardening so, I'll be doing a google search or I'll search this site as well. I'm a retired pilot, so I've got lots of time on my hands.
Cheers, Elliot
Old 02-05-2019, 05:16 AM
Steel Addict

Welcome Elliot, as others have said there is a lot of information here. A ton of information in the "stickies" be patient and enjoy the ride.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:11 AM

Elliot, first off - thank you for your service. Most larger circular saw blades have steel in them that will do service as a knife that will cut, however getting the most out of the steel for cutlery purposes (what most of us strive for as knifemakers) usually requires more knowledge about the type of steel and what thermal cycling is necessary to achieve the best results. No doubt that you will get a serviceable cutting instrument from that saw blade as long as you do not overheat it during the grinding process. One thing you may have issue with will be drilling holes for pins without softening the steel.
It is always good to hear that someone such as you has the interest and desire to make a knife/knives. Never feel that any questions you might have are not relevant so always ask.
Another recommendation is to find a knifemaker near you and spend some time with him/her in their shop. Well worth the effort. Fill out your profile, you may find there is someone right around the corner. Also check out local and state wide clubs and organizations, most all welcome newbies and beginners and will help you lighten the learning curve. There are knifemakers everywhere just have to do a little looking and asking.
Best of luck in your endeavors. We are all here to help and learn.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-10-2019, 01:33 PM

Red face

I'm at the point of making a handle for the knife I am making (OK, trying to make) and now I'm having difficulty drilling holes for the handle. I've ruined a couple of drill bits. Next I'm going to try slowing the drill bit speed on my drill press and using some good cutting oil. I bought some oak wood for the handle. It's been fun and interesting so far.
Cheers, Elliot
Old 02-10-2019, 04:58 PM

If you can secure a couple of aluminum angle sections. Clamp your blade section including the ricasso area in a large jawed vise. Aluminum will protect your blade from scratches and act as a heatsink. Heat the area you want to drill with a torch to red then let cool slowly while in vise to touch. You should be then to drill the holes. One of the biggest problems most run into is trying to drill holes with dull bits. Make sure they are sharp, if they are squeaking or squealing they are too dull to cut steel. Center punching your spot is also good practice to prevent "skating" which will quickly start the dulling process.
Learning how and when to sharpen your bits will save you a lot of time and money. Not that hard a skill to master.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-10-2019, 06:51 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Another option is to use carbide drills. The problem you have is that your metal is already hardened. You can soften it as Carl suggested or you can get drills intended for drilling hard metals (regular drills are not). Carbide spade drills, straight flute carbide drills, or in a pinch even carbide tipped masonry drills can work ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Guru

I'm interested, was it a steel cutting saw blade?

High speed or slow speed? Reason I ask is most steel cutting saw blades tend to be S5 or S7 steel and are workable without special tooling like carbide drill bits. But if it was a slow speed cold saw it may not anneal easily because those blades are made of the M2 style steels. Was the saw blade a blued color and almost black? If it was you may have some super hard steel that's not easy to work. I'm just interested to know, professional curiosity. Also like if it was a wood cutting blade you're lucky it's hard enough to make a knife with as there is no telling what it's made from then. Saw blades, especially circular ones are mystery steel and can run from cheap 1045 type steel to the "S" series steels and the "M" types. Oh and the ones with carbide teeth soldered on my be low carbon steel and not suitable for a knife at all.

Tags
a, angle, ball, blade, boot, brand, ca, choose, cutlery, edge, first knife, folding, folding knife, image, knife, knife making, knives, leather, making, metal, post, rolling, saw blade, sharpening, welding