MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:28 AM
Steel Addict

Knife presentation when sold. Knife box design?

Hi all

What do you do when you sell a knife regarding presentation?
Do you ship it with a/in sheat and/or a knife box of some sort?

I would like to present my knife in a box, but i'm not sure if it makes sense when i also make a sheat.

I would like to hear what you guys do, and maybe see some pictures :-)

I'm not going to ship the knife, so packaging is not an issue.

Last edited by Rasmus Kristens; 07-30-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:46 PM
Master

At shows when they buy off the table, the folders come with a protective pouch. Fixed blades come with a sheath or edge protector. I don't include additional packaging/boxes though some makers do have this for their offerings. Can be as fancy as you desire with the box being printed with logos and additional info.

One of the makers had some thermal lined lunch type bags done up with his logo and such that he included with purchase. Had them made in China for about $2 bag. Would have to contact a local packaging company for offerings. For additional visibility having custom packaging does promote your work if they are carried at shows, etc.

For shipped knives I ship in rectangular boxes that are primarily used for storing sports cards. Depending on size they cost between $.30-$1.25 each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sports-card-box-July 30, 2018-6509.jpg (79.9 KB, 9 views)

Old 08-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Guru

All my knives. except kitchen knives, come with a leather sheath. My kitchen knives if you buy the whole 4 knife set comes with your choice of a counter top knife block or an in-drawer knife block. I was surprised that most people prefer the drawer block, but then I figured they want their counter to have more room as a knife block takes up the space of a toaster. All the blocks are made of bamboo wood which is germ resistant.
A single chef's knife will have a pouch sheath without a belt loop if requested and I ask what my customer wants so there won't be any confusion.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Guru

Well as ray told me DO NOT make a knife mummy meaning not to wrap it in a bunch of bubble wrap yeh putting bubble wrap is ok to put it in the box just don't wrap it up he made a good point the customer has waited for this knife and is excited then they open the box and OH NO now he has to un wrap all sorts of bubble wrap that's no good I have been making smaller folders I put them in the link below these are from smokey mountain knife works they seam to be the cheapest but they are on many supply sites some padded some not and they come in all sorts of sizes so even for knives bigger than my folders they are out there. Another thing ray showed me that I think is a very good idea is make up a certificate on the computer list all the info about the knife …..size,steel type, grind, anything you can think of print it out and sign it it deffinitly gives a profeshional feel to the whole thing....hope this helps

https://www.smkw.com/7-inch-black-cordura-zipper-pouch
Old 08-02-2018, 12:59 PM
Master

I'd also done a certificate of origin on a nice grade of paper stock with mine. I'd see the knife come up on the secondary market sans paperwork. The new owner would call asking about the details indicating to me that that info was gone in the private deal. I have paperwork from other makers and when doing the deals, that extra item is easy to leave behind. I'm guilty of that too.

Tags
a, belt loop, blade, blades, block, buy, ca, chef's knife, custom, design, easy, edge, fixed, knife, knives, leather, leather sheath, made, makers, sell, sheath, steel, supply, wood