MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:54 AM

Knife/Blade Sharpening

What does everyone use to sharpen them knives/blades?
Old 06-08-2018, 06:48 AM
Guru

I use diamond stones or hones, whichever term is correct.

Mainly because on very hard and wear resistant blade steels they will sharpen faster. I sharpen by hand and some steels can take all day. I may finish with a fine Arkansas stone to just hone the edge a bit. l usually just leave my knives just how they come off my 800 grit EZE Lap diamond stone that is 20 years old so it's a little smoother now. l find that is sharp enough for just about anything l want it to do except for cutting leather or wood carving. For those activities l take the edge down to 2000 grit using a very fine Crystolon oil stone and after that l strop my leather tools on 5000 grit diamond compound on thin leather glued to a stick and buff the edge finally with 10,000 grit diamond. A super sharp and smooth edge makes cutting leather a lot easier.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:18 AM
Master

I sharpen on the 2x72" grinder with a fixture taken from the Lansky type system. Have made variations over the years to adapt and this allows a consistent angle every time. This is one of the early pics. Table is set for a specific degree based on my usual thickness of blades and this works well for my pieces. Will use a well worn 320 or 400 grit. Based on wear I would estimate that the belts are in the 1400-2000+ grit range. If starting a new edge I'll use a fresh 320 then polish the edge with the worn belts followed by a quick pass on the leather with compound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sharp3.jpg (38.0 KB, 37 views)

Old 08-07-2018, 04:57 PM

I made myself a jig based on the Lansky System, also made a few jigs to sharpen different smaller knifes, including a one for the Opinel Blades.

Cheap diamond files & waters stones off Aliexpress, modified square handles it makes a decent job.

Tags
2x72, angle, blade, blades, carving, cutting, diamond, diamond stone, edge, files, finish, grinder, hand, hone, knife, knives, leather, made, sharpening, stone, strop, thickness, tools, wood