MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:19 PM
Steel Addict

1st stick tang and leather sheat - need some constructive critism

hi all

So I finally finished my 1st sticktang knife where i did all the work my self.
I'm really satisfied.

Of course there are a few issues that i'm already aware of, but I would like to hear what you guys think.

The shape is nice. Although it's a bit to narrow near the back of the handle.

Its also my first leather sheat. It's so much more fun making than the kydex i did before!

I think i'm done with my black acid etched blades phase ;-)
I accidentally sharpened the ricasso...

On the front of the guard I have a V scratch. Maybe you can see it. I can only think thats its from the Q-tip i used to remove some epoxy that came out near the blade. Can a Q-tip scratch brass?!

Last edited by Rasmus Kristens; 02-24-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:40 PM
Hall of Famer

The shape of the handle does make me wonder how it sets in the hand. There is something that looks a little off at the back of the handle. I don't see the problem with the guard. To me it looks like a good job there. The blade is also well formed. Too bad you slipped while grinding and knocked the corner off the ricasso but other than that the blade looks fine.

Identify what you don't like about the knife and figure out how not to do it again. Overall it's not a bad job.

Good job on the sheath too.

Doug

Old 02-24-2018, 08:20 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Overall, I agree with Doug's assessment. For the handle I'd say just test the knife very hard and see how it treats your hand. If it slips or gives you blisters then you'll know what to do with the next handle. I'm glad to see you used the stub tang/single pin design for your handle. That's a technique that most new makers seem afraid to try. Done correctly though, it is very strong, improves the balance of small knives, and shows off a nice wood handle very well.

On the ricasso mistake, you just need to learn how to turn a small mistake into a 'feature', i.e., add to it until it looks intentional.

The leather sheath looks nice. The next step on that might be to add a welt. That's simply an extra piece of leather that follows the stitch line and sits inside the fold. Without a welt, it is possible the knife edge can be forced into the threads and cut them...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-26-2018, 02:00 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks guys.

Except for the handle being a bit to narrow at the back, its fits my hand pretty well.
I'm not sure I like that flat faces on that back of the handle so much, but when i realised it much material was alreay off to change it :-)

Thanks you Ray, for the thorough tutorial on the single pin/stub tang, helped me a lot.

The pictures doens't show, but I did add a welt to the sheat. I didn't have any leather glue, sp i tried using epoxy.. Didn't turn out to well, it started opening at the top.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:01 AM
Steel Addict

Superglue the welt back in place.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:54 AM
Guru

Rasmus; for future reference, you can use the white wood glue for things like keeping the welt in place. Its cheap and readily available. I apply it with my finger and it holds long enough to get it sewed up. It isn't for every leather application, but for knife sheaths its fine.
I like the look of the handle by the way although I probably wouldn't have used so much drop, but if it works for you then it works. I have seen quite a few knives with the curved handle and understand its use when skinning an animal like deer. The blade looks excellent and like Ray said make your mistake look like it was planned.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Steel Addict

Good looking knife and sheath.

Tags
a, acid, arrow, back, blade, blades, brass, ca, epoxy, etched, grinding, guard, handle, knife, knives, kydex, leather, making, post, scratch, sheath, stick tang, tang