MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 04-27-2017, 12:37 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Unique Sheath

I had the opportunity to clean an unusual old Johnson sheath over the past few days. I think the sheath was designed by a soldier or marine for serious duty. It held a Mod. 14 Tenite...a late Mod. Tenite. I posted photos of the special features of this sheath which are....a lanyard loop instead of a thong hole. I believe this is for strength. Next is a hinged keeper strap. The hinged strap helps facilitate ease of withdrawal of the knife. I tried it with one hand. I gripped the handle and raised my knuckles out and kicked the strap over and withdrew the knife. Last there is an extroidinarely long stone Pocket for the era of this sheath. I guess the owner wanted a very long stone. Anyway this is just my thoughts on the sheath. Hope you enjoy the photos.
Ronnie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3644.JPG (34.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3645.JPG (36.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3646.JPG (36.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3647.JPG (37.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:38 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Another photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3648.JPG (32.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Skilled

Here is a sheath with an echo, from a recent offer on E-bay. No Randall stamp on sheath but some Randall-vibs coming off of it. Notice that it has a handle wrap-around keeper, but also a sewn portion underneath the offset, a la the sheath posted by jeepster. It also has the long sharpening stone. IT may have the same tie-down loop, hard to tell though. Interesting.... knife is cool too - blade stamp is type 3, used after 1965

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-01-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:20 PM
Steel Addict

Interesting.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:46 PM
Skilled

Pictures didn't allow getting a close up of the front of sheath, but looking at back stitching, I'm 90 percent convinced that this sheath originally had the same type keeper strap as the one Ronnie posted. The odd patch of stitching is a remnant, longer threads that once held another piece of leather in that place. The back of the sheath above the stitching is smooth, almost grooved, indicating a strap could have been routed there. I think these two sheaths have the same maker, one with Randall stamp, one without.

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-01-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:16 PM
Skilled

Something is strange here. I think I happened to save pictures of the knife-sheath that Ronnie is apparently working on. Here are the pictures of that offer that I saved... we can better see the entire package with these than in the close up pictures Ronnie posted. (If these aren't the same as the sheath Ronnie is working on, we now have three examples).

However the knife that was advertised with the sheath posted by Ronnie appears to be the same knife advertised with the second, different, sheath posted my moi. The name on the knife is the same, the number of teeth, 22, is the same. It is possible that there are two sawteeth model 14s with that name and similar characteristics in two different sheaths. But I am thinking the same knife was photo'd with two different sheaths.

The E-bay auction for the sheath/knife I posted was pulled because the person offering it said he had mis-labled the auction. Whatever...

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-01-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Steel Addict

Just to clarify Jack, I didn't post that picture of the sawtooth 14. Unbelievable that there are two of these unique sheaths.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:27 PM
Skilled

Yes, I know you didn't post the knife, probably didn't know what knife came with that sheath, given you were asked to help recondition the sheath.

However, I had saved the original offering when it appeared on E-bay, thought about bidding on it myself. Then this second knife/odd-sheath came up a few weeks ago and I saved it too! .... didn't even occur to me that it was different from the first offering until you posted the sheath here.

The two E-bay offerings were from the same guy, and apparently the pictures featured the same knife with similar but different sheaths. That is all that I was noting, and there could be some reasonable explanations for this, or maybe there are two knifes, same name, etc.

I agree it is amazing that there are two well-worn sheaths with this system. Taking an "engineering" look at the retention strap, it is easy to see why the second one no longer had its strap, and had a newer handle wrap riveted on. If you move that fixed strap sideways enough it will eventually stretch and then fail.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:37 PM
Steel Addict

Yes there are two knives. A late green Tenite mod. 14 came with the sheath I worked on.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Steel Addict

Totally agree with you that the same knife was photographed twice.
Jack do you mind if I copy the sheath you posted and post it with my thread on another forum.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM
Steel Addict

The sheath you posted above is definitely the sheath I worked on.
Did the eBay auction say anything about military use?
Old 04-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Skilled

Although this is not my knife, I do have a picture of the package.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17800447_1819932544935096_2717193474590749466_n.jpg (78.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-27-2017, 05:53 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Bill I would like to post a picture of the second sheath.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Skilled

I don't mind you using those pictures, either or both packages. If you want to mention that I posted them, I don't mind that either. Matter of fact I would appreciate and enjoy it.

There was no mention of "military" in the offering of the second one. I don't have the wording of the original auction of the first one, but I did save the picture of the sheath/knife package. It is the picture with the saw-teeth knife, not a green Tenite one. Though the E-bay offer for the second one was pulled, the pictures etc. are still up. Here is a link to the second offer which just notes this is a Vietnam era knife and sheath. A note says the offer was pulled because there was an error in it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332188797496...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here is Bill's picture in a larger format...

Either there are THREE of these sheaths, or the saw-tooth knife pictured in the first offer was the wrong knife, or the same sheath was offered twice with two different knifes pictured. However, I have confidence that the two sheaths pictured with the keeper are the same sheaths... see offset rivets at the top of the keeper strap.

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-01-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:15 AM
Skilled

Houston there may be a problem...

First picture shows the original (?) E-bay offer of the knife package with the sheath with the keeper strap. As we have shown, the knife in this offer is the same as the one in the second package, sheath without keeper.

Then Bill showed the picture below of the sheath-with-keeper with a different knife.

Does anyone see a problem with this package?

The pictures speak for themselves, but I find it interesting that the same person has two of these odd sheaths, and they are the only ones that have surfaced in 70 years so far as we know. The knives advertised with at least one of these sheaths changed, and now one of those knives has some strange handle characteristics.

I suppose that if this is green Tenite, it could have shrunk ... but usually shrunken green Tenite was attached with screws, isn't that true? Also, these sheaths use the small tack rivets. And does the thong hole in the handle material look too large to be original?

Though these sheaths have a different cut, I know of no green Tenite handled knives that came in a Johnson sheath with the small rivets. So there are some additional questions, the most apparent is whether any of these knives are original to the sheaths.

The sheaths seem to be authentic, and look to have period age and evidence of extensive use. Not sure they are Johnson though. Mr. Gaddis told me that Mr. Randall used 4 or 5 different shops on occasion to make sheaths during the early-mid 60s. Here is another odd ball sheath that we discussed in the vintage 14 line that would have been from the early 60s.

It guess it all could have a straight up explanation ... one person bought two knives at same time in mid-60s and got matching special sheaths and then his estate sold both, and and and.

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-04-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Tags
back, bee, clean, easy, hand, handle, interesting, knife, knives, lanyard, leather, military, package, photo, pocket, post, randall, retention, sheath, sheaths, stone, strap, wrap