MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Thomason
The first one is a little more handle-heavy, has a comfortable grip and is, how shall I say - better looking.
Buddy, I hate to disagree with you but I prefer the "rugged" looks of the second knife. But then again, I love that green micarta. BTW, is that a 7" model? Either way, both knives look fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

-gary

- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Raindog; 08-01-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Skilled

...Some amazing Model 1s. I will take a PIC or two and post something here.
Jeff
Old 08-01-2005, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog
BTW, is that a 7" model?
Gary,
I really like the green micarta too, even though it doesn't appear to be that popular. These are both 7" stainless blades. This is strictly my own personal opinion and I certainly understand if others feel differently, but 7" seems 'right' for the #1.

There is another issue regarding the #1 "Fighting Knife" and handle choice. I defer to the experts here on this but under adverse circumstances and very hard use I sure hope the cut-down tang bond with the green micarta would hold up. The black micarta commando handle also has a cut-down tang but it extends through the butt cap and is threaded etc. and might offer slightly more strength. For outright brute use I find my #16 diver's knife with its full thickness partially exposed tang inspires the most confidence. Of course it's heavy and definitely not quick in hand.

One thing for sure though - if I was forced to suddenly leave everything behind except for one knife upon which I would have to depend in order to survive, the RMK model #1 (in my case probably the green micarta one) would be right there at the top of my list. And if I only had 30 seconds to choose a knife and run - well, frankly I can't think of any knife in my posession that would be a better choice. But that's a topic for another thread..........
Old 08-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Skilled

All four of these are recent Model 1s.
Top to bottom:
1-7 AG Russell golden maple burl handle with black and brass spacers
1-8 stag with lugged brass hilt and brass and red spacers and brass butt with thong hole
1-6 yellow micarta finger grips with NS hilt, aluminum and black spacers, alum. butt with thong hole
1-7 pure stock except that it has been refinished by the shop
The colors are not very accurate in this PIC. The yellow micarta is not nearly as orange as it looks in the PIC.
Jeff
Old 08-02-2005, 04:09 AM
Steel Addict

Jeff the hilt on the yellow looks especially thick...... is it?

What a great thread....... love seeing those pictures!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:29 AM

Buddy, I'd have to go with your green micarta handled #1 too, for both aesthetic and practical reasons. I also really like your photo of the other knife standing on its butt!

Jeff, that's a very eclectic selection of #1's you have there. I'm curious about the stag handled one with the lugged brass hilt. It looks pretty (and) deadly, but how does that one fell in the hand?

David

Old 08-02-2005, 09:42 AM
Skilled

Mitchell,
....The hilt on the yellow handled one is much thicker than the brass standard hilts on those other two knives.

Moose,
....That 8 inch blade and the stag and brass combo is pretty but it is definitely less balanced than the 6 and 7 inch ones here.
Jeff
Old 08-03-2005, 03:17 PM

More #1's

Howdy y'all!

My pal Bill knows just how much you folks love them pictures, so he sent me a photo of a half dozen of his kinda different #1's.

Bill's description of the fighters is as follows:

# 1 Ward Gay handle.

# 2 Crown Stag

# 3 Taper with finger grips.(feels really good)

# 4 I am pretty sure this is called a Springfield shape. (catalog has an outline of a #1 in this handle shape)

# 5 Cocobolo with ivory scrim of two color black widow. (Bowles)

# 6 Cocobolo concave with "coolie cap" butt.

Hopes ya like 'em as much as I do.

Oops! There goes my beeper again.

Thanks Bill!

Best

RM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill #1s.jpg (11.8 KB, 132 views)

Faster than a Starflight. More powerful than a #14 Attack. Able to leap continents with a single mouse click. Look! Up in the sky! It's a knife. It's a sheath. It's Randall Man! A strange visitor from Mars who came to Earth with powers far beyond those of mortal men. Randall Man - who can change the course of streams of consciousness, bend steel with his bare hands, and who, disguised as ?, mild mannered collector of RMK, fights the unending battle for Truth, Justice and the Humane Way.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Man
kinda different #1's.
WOW! Those are most excellent, as are all the #1's pictured here. This thread and similar threads featuring examples of each model in the RMK line will certainly prove to be great a great resource for many folks over time.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 08-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Ron,

Will the pictures listed under this and future "Model of the Week" threads be automatically rolled over to the gallery forum?

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-05-2005, 01:42 PM

Hi Gary,

Good question. I'll check with the other moderators about this and let you know what the consensus is.

Best,

Ron
Old 08-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Steel Addict

Here's a basic, plain vanilla version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00760.JPG (15.5 KB, 115 views)
Old 08-06-2005, 07:35 PM

A Classic

Hi Pat!

Thanks for the photo, but I'm afraid you're not doing justice to this classic "fighter" with a Johnson sheath.

Cheers!

David

Old 08-07-2005, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog
Ron,

Will the pictures listed under this and future "Model of the Week" threads be automatically rolled over to the gallery forum?

-gary

Gary,

The moderators have discussed your question and there's a consensus that we'd like to keep the Model of the Week threads in the general forum. However, if we can talk SteveM into creating a "link post" like he did on the other forum:

http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthread...t=1#Post649231

.........then we can keep that post as a "sticky" at the top for easy access to everyone. No pressure, Steve

Best,

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 08-07-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast

Not a problem, I wish they would have done the same thing over there. Makes it much easier to find.

Tags
a, bee, blade, brass, buck, california, camo, comma, edge, fighter, handle, image, knife, knife s, knives, leather, photo, post, randall, show, special, stag, technology, vietnam