MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:07 AM
Guru

kydex help

Hey thought i might get the info on kydex sheaths here i have 2 questions.....when making a fold over or i think i have heard of it called a "taco" sheath i have a hard time positioning it right getting the sheet out of the oven on the press folded over knife and pressed clamped when i take it out i find that the spine of the blade is not right up agenst the fold and it just looks horible i have tried it a few times and even using a heat gun after the press just to loosen up that part but not getting good results is there any trick to getting this right cause as i fold the kydex over the knife and clamp it in the press it looks good but not when it comes out.....i am sure there is a easy way of doing this that i am not thinking of
second question i am trying to make a kydex sheath for a polished blade but last time i did that the kydex scratched the blade up pritty bad very quickly...any one have a solution to this ??i thought of taking really thin leather or even a soft felt and gluing it to the kydex before it gets molded so then you have a soft liner that wont scratch the knife but i am not sure if any glue could hold the leather or felt to the kydex while its hot?? and if you put it in afterwards the knife wont fit right?? any ideas?
Old 06-18-2016, 04:35 PM
Steel Addict

I am a newbie at using kydex, been making leather sheaths for years. I also use the fold over style for some knives. I scratch a line on the flat sheath where the spine of the knife goes up against and get good results. As for the sheath fitting too tight against the blade and scratching it. I use 3M blue painters tape and put 2 layers of tape on the blade to allow for space where the kydex does not make tight contact with the sides of the blade to prevent scratches when pulling the knife out of the sheath. Make sure you have the smooth side of the Kydex on the inside that touches the blade and no kydex particles, from grinding or sanding the sheath, inside the sheath as those particles will scratch a blade.
There is a video on YOU Tube made by Walter Sorrels on making a fold over sheath that may give you some tips.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Registered

Nice Post

-----------------------------
Umair
Old 07-01-2018, 04:51 PM
Master

A long thread, good info though more related to gun holsters:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....cture-Tutorial

Old 07-02-2018, 02:39 PM
Master

They have a variety of "clinic" videos that are insightful. Came across this on the Garand forum. Going to be building up a press this week for some upcoming pieces so have been taking in what is out there too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PhillyEDC/videos

Tags
a, abs, blade, boltaron, concealex, easy, glue, gun, heat gun, holster, holsters, holstex, hot, knife, knives, kydex, leather, make, making, newbie, plastic, press, sheath, sheaths