MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

I do understand where you're coming from, Darren, and you know that I consider you a gentleman. I have great respect for you and was not trying to take your post out of context. I felt like this thread was coming dangerously close to encouraging a wrong approach from bits and pieces of several posts.

The price may be outrageous, but it wouldn't take long to find some knives that are outrageously priced only because they are rare. I wish I had a copy to sell for that price!!

Yeah, a book is only paper and ink, and a Tai Goo knife is "only" iron and carbon. (And, rumor has it, magic herbs!)

The right approach is going to the source and buying the $30 version. Better yet, whoever talks to the guy should try to get him to sign on TKN! He would be joining an impressive list of people that have been passing on their wisdom and experience - some free and some for fee.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Master

It's all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJack
The right approach is going to the source and buying the $30 version.
Definitely the right approach and the one I plan to follow through with. I wonder if the other author would be willing to sell his sections too? We need to support the individual craftsman whenever possible.

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 06-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Steel Addict

Darren

Your post about your wife considering your attitude about books blasphemous made me laugh out loud. Please THANK her for me.

We all have our own opinions about this and that is great, it makes this the best forum on the internet. Books may be just paper and ink and a little glue or thread. But they also can allow us to absorb the information at our own pace and inspire us with the knowledge, patience and skills of the authors.

I also wouldn't be interested in a scanned version of the book. The authors worked too hard and in to much detail to do that. As far as the selling price for out of print books, the market sets the price. If they don't sell the prices will come down. Or the high prices will shake loose a handful of copies laying aroung not being put to use. I have a feeling there were not nearly as many of these sold originally as had hoped for. But I have no way to substantiate that either. Would they sell better today, maybe, there is more interest in folders and new makers are coming along all the time.

There will always be people trying to make the big fast buck on anything in limited supply. I have before and shall continue to pay for the books I want/need. Will they be worth that kind of cash if ever sold? Who knows, the information and enjoyment factor is the reason I buy. Would I buy a duplicate and then sell it or trade it, of course if there is a market. Would I gouge a fellow knifemaker on the price, no, I don't need the cash or the hard feelings that badly.

So lets buy Shadley's portion of this book and make a knife...or three.

Tony
Old 06-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJack
The right approach is going to the source and buying the $30 version. Better yet, whoever talks to the guy should try to get him to sign on TKN! He would be joining an impressive list of people that have been passing on their wisdom and experience - some free and some for fee.
Shadley is president of the Knifemaker's Guild. He's not hard to get hold of. First google hit for "eugene shadley" is his Guild contact page.

I bought the "shop version" of the multiblade folder book from him at a knife show two years ago (the $30 version). It is massively detailed and scared the bejesus out of me.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to striper28 Send a message via Yahoo to striper28
There's one on ebay right now selling for $1.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Member of the Knifemakers Guild!
Visit my webpage at
www.gedraitisknives.com
Old 06-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Steel Addict

He is a member here on the forum.

I have seen his posts several times.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by striper28
There's one on ebay right now selling for $1.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Not anymore. I just placed a bid at $35 and got outbid....
Old 08-27-2006, 07:36 AM

You might try the following website to see if a library in your area has a copy.
http://worldcatlibraries.org/

It might involve some driving but at least you would have access to it.

I just picked up a copy on eBay. It was part of a lot of four books that included The Knife Collection of Albert Blevins, Step-by-Step Knifemaking and How to Make Folding Knives.
I picked up the lot for a very good price.

My plan b if I didn't win the auction was to drive 40 miles to the nearest library that has a copy.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Steel Addict

Shadley/Davis

I did follow someone's suggestion on this thread and contacted Gene directly. He has copies for $30 which includes shipping. This is just his chapter, but is nicely produced. Don't know about Davis' chapter... I wonder if he does the same thing. Gene's chapter was very good. I would still like more detail about locating the pivot pin/ length of tang/ relationship to spring notch. This is still guesswork for me. Ron Lake's chapter in How To Make Folding Knives comes closest, but this is for lock-backs.
anyway, the Shadley chapter is available directly from Gene.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Master

Darn but all of this sure makes me feel good! Against the advise of my wife, I sold my copy to a maker for what I thought I bought it for! Frank

Old 08-28-2006, 07:24 PM

shadley -davis book

talked with mr shadley at the guild show about book and he stated that there is some things going on that will make it possible for the book to be reprinted with updates...hopefully this will happen soon.....bugsy

Tags
blade, knife, knives