MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast

web site

Ok Ray, I missed the tour. Send me to the shop of all shops so I can see what everyone is talking about.

I also resaw most of my scales into half with an ancient Toolkraft Bandsaw. I find like the others here that setting the blade guides and a sturdy fence ( I had to make my own, not hard at all) are imperative. Like Dennis, I hesitate sometimes to see if I feel lucky or not - I have screwed op a few. I actually have better results from a narrow blade. Seems to wander less for some reason.

Dennis, I just sawed that Ironwood I bought in Richmond in half so I could get two kits out of the one set of scales. My wife says I am tight, I say I'm thrifty. Actually, I said to myself, it's like a poker game. All or nothing. If it works, it's gravy, if not you have some nice scrap pieces!.

Robert
Old 01-28-2003, 03:53 PM

More often than not for me it's not about saving money, it's about getting a 2nd set of scales out of a gorgeous piece of wood, bone, or whatever...

If it was the money, I wouldn't be so anxious when I go to resaw a spectacular, bookmatched set of presentation grade ironwood. It's not so much about wasting money as it is about wasting beauty.

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 01-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast

Dennis,

Whatever it is, I get nervous when I do it, not just because of the closeness of the blade, but because I don't like to screw up a good thing either. Still seems like a gamble don't it?

Robert
Old 01-28-2003, 04:07 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Rusty:
I don't know about shop of all shops, in fact, I know I've seen more impressive shops than mine. But, the total package is definitely different around my place. You can find anybody's website by pressing the WWW button at the bottom of their posting assuming they have one. My shop tour starts at www.rayrogers.com/wauconda.htm

Dennis:
Well said, I never quite thought of it that way but in retrospect I see that I have been doing the same thing. I can squeeze a dollar until the eagle screams but I usually don't bother trying to get an extra scale off a 'regular' piece of wood. I never seem to think twice though about going to the extra effort on some premium material. I especially like to shave a scale or two off a block that I am about to use on a stick tang knife if the block is big enough.....
Old 01-29-2003, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Ray,

I didn't notice the www link - still fairly new here. I took the short tour while here at work, and I'll take the long tour later, but oh so sweet to have so much room that is so organized and so many tools.............wow!

Robert

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives