MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Steel Addict

Question Noob Sheath Making Question

I am making a simple fold over sheath. When is it appropriate to wet and mold the leather to the knife? Should the molding be done before it is sewn together or after? What about if I was going to include a welt? If I were to stamp a pattern in would the molding process ruin the pattern? Thanks for your help

Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Skilled

IMO - You always need a welt

I wet mold after sewing
Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 AM

When is it appropriate to wet and mold the leather to the knife? Should the molding be done before it is sewn together or after?
Before or after or both - try both and pick the one that works for you. It does take a bit longer for the sheath to dry fully if sewn first. Both have their drawbacks and pluses.

What about if I was going to include a welt?
As Kost said it's needed. Blade will eventually cut your stitching with out a welt.

If I were to stamp a pattern in would the molding process ruin the pattern?
Most likely, if you are not very careful. I suggest you make a plain sheath without stamping, tooling, carving, first and get things figured out. Tooling just adds more complications into the learning curve.

Note: Avoid stitching wet.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Steel Addict

Molding the sheath can be done in different fashions and extremes. Some guys will mold a sheath to a knifes profile very tightly, and this as it's been mentioned can mess up your tooling. If your making a simple fold over sheath, I like to make the sheath a hair smaller so the knife won't fit in when all sewn up. Then just lightly wet the leather and slide the knife in to get a snug fit without really molding it to the profile.

As Kost and Carl have said a welt is definitely needed.

I would also suggest to make a plain sheath first to get the hang of it and work out the kinks. Even after a few sheaths when I try something new I sometimes have to pitch the first (or sometimes second) one that I do because either I didn't plan it out right or there were problems that arose that I didn't conceive.

It's also best to start simple and slowly add stuff so you don't waste too much time and material. As you try new things your going to inevitably throw out some material, so make sure you have extra, and practice new things on scrap first before trying it on an entire sheath, unless you like throwing out and entire sheath.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Steel Addict

Thank you very much Gentlemen,

I am working on my second sheath. The first one I did not put a welt in, also I attempted to mold it before I stiched it up. It came out OK but it was a lot of work. I thought it could have come out better on the shaping. I thought about it and I suspected the shaping would work better for me if it was all sewn up first. I thought I would check with the guys with the experience.

I will definetly incorporate a welt for now on. I am going to try the fitting after it is sewn up. I suspect it will be easier and better

As always thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience

Tags
art, bee, blade, carving, holster, knife, leather, leather die, leather tooling, make, making, material, molding, noob, pattern, sheath, sheaths, simple, tanning, throw