MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 11-08-2001, 11:35 PM
Scott Hurst

Balisong Construction

Howdy, I've been making knives for about two years now and know my way around a shop pretty well. I limit myself to a non-electric kinda primitive approach. I was wondering if there was any good info on making balisongs or I should just try what I think might work.

While the lectricity may seem like a limitation, I do forge and very close to shape at that, so if necesary i can form the handles that way.

I know how the parts themselves work, its basically a friction folder with two handles, but some of the more intricate brass liner work with the wood or bone inlays, I'm not sure how to pull of without having pins come through and make contact with the blade while the knife is closed.

Any information you could provide or point to would be very appreciated.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:54 PM
Sweany

cut the pins off
Old 11-13-2001, 09:43 PM
Scott Hurst

Wow, thanks.

I never would have figured out that one. What would I do without you? The problem I was having is making handles like the traditionals are with sheet brass with pinned bolsters and handle slabs without the pins poking through too far and interfering with the blade when the knfe is closed. I didn't want to file the excess off as this may make the handle slabs and bolsters loose and because I prefer mechanical fit, it just wouldn't work.

But I found my answer through a friend of a friend. thanks anyway.

As a guy with the tag of "Neo-Tribal" I figured you would have given a more intelligent response, especially as I'm doing it by the traditional low tech way that they were made in the Philipines. Too much to ask I guess.

thanks to all who read and thought

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, forge, knife, knives