MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 10-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Master

First attempt at mosaic pins

well here's my first attempt at making some mosaic pins, wanted to keep the pattern very simple the first go around.......I'm pretty happy with them, sky's the limit with mosaic pin ideas so I plan on getting a little more creative now that my trial run turned out not to bad....
thanks for looking

Rob

Old 10-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Master

What size are they? I tried getting some square tubing that fits into 1/4" round tube but my hobby store is always sold out of it! Looks darn good to me what did you use to fill them?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Skilled

That looks like way too much work! Pretty cool, though... I've never seen the materials for it. Do you indeed buy them at a hobby store?? Do you use fiberglass epoxy or glue to fill?

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 10-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Steel Addict

nice first Rob. looks like you have a good understanding on making them. you can really do a lot with a simple pattern on a knife. sometimes i think they are over done and detract from a good knife design.

how long are they and how did you glue them up?

Erik
Old 10-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
What size are they? I tried getting some square tubing that fits into 1/4" round tube but my hobby store is always sold out of it! Looks darn good to me what did you use to fill them?
1/4'' brass tube , G2 epoxy (little extra hardener) and 3-4 drops of black acrylic paint
Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
Check out http://www.ksmetals.com/ they make all the tubing that hobby stores carry. they have retailer outlets. ive also found that ebay is a great resource i picked up 25' of various sizes for under 25 bucks including shipping.

ruger4
Those should add that little extra to really make the knife stand out. Rather curious about the filler as well. What method did you use to fill the tubes?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckluftinger View Post
That looks like way too much work! Pretty cool, though... I've never seen the materials for it. Do you indeed buy them at a hobby store?? Do you use fiberglass epoxy or glue to fill?
Actually Chris is was kinda fun to try , pretty easy, $20 worth of supplies from a local hobby shop (epoxy and paint I had ) made me (6) 6'' mosaic pieces and we all know what they cost at the local knife supply shop..........
Old 10-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Master

Cool man I usually make my own but the knife I'm working on right now is for a friend and he wanted some fancy ones. I just didn't have quick access to get the stuff I needed for 1/4" and he didn't want the bigger stuff. The place that I get mine from charges $30 a foot plus shipping.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
Check out http://www.ksmetals.com/ they make all the tubing that hobby stores carry. they have retailer outlets. ive also found that ebay is a great resource i picked up 25' of various sizes for under 25 bucks including shipping.

ruger4
Those should add that little extra to really make the knife stand out. Rather curious about the filler as well. What method did you use to fill the tubes?
as for the filling the tubes with epoxy -

I drilled 1/4'' holes into a piece of wood as a stand for the tubes
(tight fit is what you want so the epoxy doesn't ooze out the bottom)
First I tried a custom made - Ha ! paper funnel which worked ok ,
2nd I used a spare powder funnel from my reload bench and that worked better taping the funnel on to prevent leakage around the tube opening
3rdly I simply used my small epoxy mixing spoon that worked the best, just held it about 2'' above the tube, slow and steady little bit at a time until I determined the amount that would fill the 1/4'' tube approx 1/2 way.
Little trial and error to get the right amount of epoxy in the tube is the key to a good solid bond for your mosaic components.....I'll add some more pics later, gotta run outside and feed some horse's !
Old 10-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Skilled

I never liked the drip method. I have been using a hand pump for draining brake fluid. I think if its drawn up into the tube there is alot less chance to get bubbles trapped in the center. It also seems easier getting epoxy through the smaller openings.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-16-2020, 08:38 AM
Registered

Hi we Produce in second Generation and set the highest quality standards in mosaic and logo Pin making since 1996
We use German machines and equipment best quality Products to make sure that we can bring the Top Quality Pins for Custom Handmade Knives.
We can also produce high Quality Knife Handle Pins with your own Logos and Design.
Materials : brass outer tube, brass, Epoxy resin
8 mm / 0.31 inch - 100 mm / 3.93 inch length
10 mm / 0.39 inch - 100 mm / 3.93 inch length
You can have our mosaic pins for knife making, metal work, jewelry making
Our pages where you can buy products from me ⬇️
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CustomKniv...g_id=893357840

Tags
bee, brass, chris, custom, design, easy, hand, hobby, knife, knife supply, made, make, making, man, materials, mosaic, paint, pattern, pins, simple, store, supplies, supply, wood