MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

Bead Blast Help

I hate to start a new thread on this but can't find the answer I'm looking for so here goes. What equipment do you use to bead blast micarta handles. I searched Harbor Freight for bead blast equipment and found two items that look like a plastic jug with a hose and nozzle attached. These things were in the $20 something range. Are they good enough to bead blast a set of handles on a full tang knife. Also, I've never worked with micarta before. The stuff I have is black canvas and seems to be very hard to grind. I'm trying to achieve a "grip-py" non-slip type texture. Is this stuff too hard for what I'm trying to achieve. Again, sorry if these things have been discussed on another thread but I need to know these answers fairly soon. Thanks as always...

Old 10-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Sand blasting equipment is used for bead blasting. The difference is that glass beads are used instead of sand (usually an aluminum oxide blasting media). The little blaster you found can manage and canvas Micarta can be one of the grippier materials.

However, bead blasting - actually using glass beads - won't get you very far. Glass is used to create a fine texture, not a rough texture. Micarta is so tough it would hardly be affected by glass. You'll get much more effect from the sand and it's less expensive too. Even so, don't expect the surface to be deeply pitted and with a grip like carpet tape, it's just a slight friction not much more than you'd get from anything that wasn't polished ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Skilled

The best media for blasting canvas micarta or G10 is a fine aluminum oxide - like 240grit. That's able to get between the fibers to produce a grippy surface. 5CFM at about 80PSI seems to be a minimum to get a good finish quickly.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot Ray and Kurt. You guys have answered nearly all I need to know. Something I forgot to ask is what grit sandpaper do I need to finish the micarta to before the blasting? Also, The blade I'm using is differentially heat treated and therefore doesn't need blasting like the handle. Can I tape the blade up in order to prevent it from being blasted? Thanks again.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Finish the Micarta to any grit that removes enough of the scratches to suit you. If you do a good job sanding, I find 220 is enough before a hard sand blasting.

I'm having some trouble understanding why being differentially heat treated precludes the need for sand blasting. I suspect what you really wanted to say was that you simply don' t want to blast the blade. Heavy blue masking tape works well for me in that regard and it's easy to remove (usually) even if I leave it on there for several days ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast

You got it Ray - thanks. I thought the same thing about the masking tape but since I've had no experience with sand blasting, I wasn't sure that it would hold up enough. What I like to do is finish my blade by etching in vinegar, buff with metal polish and finally wax it. I just didn't want to finish the knife like I've seen some do with bead blasting the entire knife to a satin finish. Just the handles is all I want. Thanks again.

Tags
blade, knife