MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 12-03-2002, 06:58 PM
Master

Refractory covered Kawool

Hi.
I have been searching the forums to this question but couldnt find the answer I wanted so thought I would post it.

I have a NC knifemaking gas forge which has (I think) Kawool and a fire brick floor.
I want to start pattern welding and am aware that the flux will eat the kawool....soooo, I want to replace the Kawool with a refractory.
Can I just layer the castaway on top the Kawool?....if so, how thick of a refracory do you think I need to add?

Someone mentioned clay cat litter. I am unsure of what to do with this....Do I wet it and make a clay and use it the same as a refractory or do I just scatter it on the floor to catch the flux?

Any information appreciated.
Thanks.
Kevin.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:42 AM
Registered

Check this link

http://www.dfoggknives.com/forge.htm

The third paragraph under "Construction" has some details on applying a lining.

The kitty litter thing you spoke of is one way of making a good lining at home. This is what I used to line my forge and it works well. The mixture is 50/50 kitty litter/sand with some wood ash added as a binder a cup or two is all that?s required. Soak the kitty litter until it returns to its soft clay like form then add the sand and wood ash mix well and that?s it. However I found that the kitty litter didn?t want to turn back into clay so I help it along by using an old food processor to pulverize it. I did it after it had been wet for a few days, but after having done that I would recommend that you do it before you wet the litter (it was a hell of a mess).
Old 12-04-2002, 03:43 PM
Master

Thanks for the reply....great link which explains everythin I needed to know.
'
Thanks again.
Kevin.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:21 PM
Registered

Send a message via AIM to oakforge
lake county

Hey Kevin,
where you at in lake county? i went to school in mt dora. i live in ocala now but visit lake county twice a week usually. you got a power hammer to make that damascus with or are you gonna pound it with a sledge?

john

Old 12-04-2002, 07:45 PM
Master

Hi John.

Do you know where Grand Island is?......( Lake Yale).

I am a (new) member of the FABA and a few of us (20 or so!!!!)are getting together to make some treadle hammers in January...in Alabama.... (I consider myself extremely lucky to have met up with such a great crowd of people).

Once I get the treadle hammer set up then I aim to experiment with pattern welding hence my original question....

If and when I get it set up, your more than welcome to visit me and show me how its done .

Cheers.
Kevin.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:49 PM
Registered

Send a message via AIM to oakforge
hey again Kevin,

i've made a little damascus i usually do cable as its alot easier without a hammer (power) we could sometime work together using sledges if you want and split the damascus when were done its just alot of work with one person. i drive by lake yale twice a week i take tai chi in tavares you on aol ?

Old 12-04-2002, 08:56 PM
Master

John..my wife goes to yoga everymorning..think its opposite your tai chi.......
Maybe we can meet up one day...pounding damascus sounds ok to me....got to be a lot easier with two!

My e mail is:
kevin_n_davey@yahoo.com.......contact me if you would like to arrange something.

Thanks.
Kevin.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:34 AM

If your forge is a NC Tool Co. forge, they make a plate to fit in the bottom of the forge which is resistant to flux and will protect the forge bottom. The rest of the forge liner you shouldn't have to worry about. Give them a call. They are great folks to work with.

Old 12-05-2002, 07:57 AM
Master

Thanks Dana....My forge has fire bricks on the floor so that should help shouldnt it?

Kevin.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Somthing I have just started doing is to line the bottom of my forge with crushed soft fire brick, and dry cat litter mixed togather, this dosn't make a barrier so much as a media to absorb the flux before it gets to your liner, every couple of weeks or so, just rake it out and reline it, its cheap, and easy! I havn't tried plain cat litter, but dont see why it wouldnt work.

Mike

Tags
forge