MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast

Knifemaking Classes

Hello Steve. You know, after my web page was finished a few years ago, I've had some people ask me if I could teach them about knifemaking. I have been working on adding something like this to my web page (www.velardeknikves.com) and it will be included on another web site.
This will be a One on One class for fixed blade knives. The list I am going to include here is to give you an idea on some of the things people could learn here. I know someone is going to come up with a few more ideas on things they would like to learn and that I should include.
How I am planning on teaching this class and the rest of the details will be included on the web site.
This class will last a week and it might include a little skiing too (just joking).

First safety in the shop
Working with the Drill Press.
Using the right type of drill.
If needed, how to drill harden steel.
Learn the proper drill speeds for the different metals, wood, Ivory. Pearl, etc.
How to drill these material properly.
Thread parts.
Learn to use a Vernier Caliper.
Learn some basics on the Vertical Mill.
How to use the Bandsaw.
How to use a grinder,
The different type of wheels, serrated or smooth and when to use them.
The different belts and how to get the most out of them.
The different "Durometer" of the wheels.
Making patterns.
Different ways to cut out a knife blanck.
Different ways to profile a knife.
Learn to use files, the different sizes and styles for the specific jobs.
Taper the tang and different ways to guide your self to keep it straight.
The different ways to grind a blade, and how to keep it straight.
How to move you grind lines.
Hollow grinding and flat grinding.
Making a guard on the mill and with files.
Making the groove the the guard on the will or with files.
How to fix some of the most common mistakes on the guards.
Different types of guards, for fighters or daggers.
How to fit a guard and make sure it is straight.
How to fix a guard before soldering.
Learn to hide the pins.
Solder a guard.
Different ways to cut the handle material.
How to fit it for the knife.
Different ways to hold the handle material for the different style of knives.
Shape a knife and know how to make sure it is symmetrical.
Learn to look at the light distortions and make sure the knife is developing the right way.
Learn about a Buffer.
Learn to polish a blade and the knife.
Learn about how to use sand paper.
Learn to have an even satin finish.
Learn to make a pouch.
Some basics on leather working.

Like I said, I am sure I am forgetting something here that someone would like to learn. I sure welcome you input and suggestions.
This is intended to give someone a good base to get started into knifemaking, but latter I will include a more advance class.

Good luck with your knifemaking.
Ricardo Velarde
www.velardeknives.com

84098, U.S.A.
(1) 435-901-1773
www.velardeknives.com
Old 02-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Skilled

What is the cost to student ...??

Old 02-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast

Mr. Hale.
Depending on the level of the class, the student, and what we decied to work on for the week, the student will take home at least one finished knife, and there will be a few more to finish and work on at home.
I will ask a student to send me a knife (if one has been made) so I can have a better idea on what we need to work on.
I will ask the student to give me an idea on the type of knife he would like to work on during the week to take home. This way I can prepare some work in advance and have it heat treated.
I can heat treat knives here at home, but I am going to send all the material out.
The things that will change the price of the class will be on how much work I have to do in advance to prepare for the class. Basically on the type of knife or knives I have to make and heat treat before the class. Like a small hunter or a large fighter.
The class will start at $2500.
I am sure I am forgetting something else, but if you have any more questions let us know. If you have any suggestion please post them too.
Thank you.
Ricardo Velarde

84098, U.S.A.
(1) 435-901-1773
www.velardeknives.com
Old 02-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Skilled

Hello Ricardo..... We've never met , I've looked at your knives on your web site and I see a very distinct influence of Steve Johnson in your style and in the execution of your labors..... I can see what you are trying to accomplish here and it's a good dream to have, But I'm wondering if you've really explored all the perameters of undertaking such a quest.... Another knifemaker in the eastern part of States tried this and I've heard stories of unsatisfied, disappointed, angry men threatening Law suits to get their money back....Let's face it ,some knifemaker wanna be's will never learn and who ever tries to teach them is in for a rough and expensive road... Have you discussed with a good Lawyer your legal responsibilaties and financial requirements for refunds etc..?? My friend I know I'm telling you things you don't want to hear and I apologize.... But if you don't have enough orders to keep you busy full time .for the sake of your family find some other source of income Knife making is a too dangerous and personal profession to hold your self out there unprotected like that....

Old 02-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Registered

Hey Lloyd, you thinking of taking a class to learn how to make knives?
Old 02-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Skilled

Well I tell you what my ole pappy used to tell me-- Son you are never too old to learn new ways of doing things ..the secret to a happy shop is to keep an open mind and blame all your failures on your wife's, not tonight honey I've got a head ache excuses..
If Buster, Steve or Wolf offered some classes I'd go in a heart beat just to be able to hang around these talented giants for a while..... I just hate to see a young man get in over his head if it's not necessary and can be avoided...

Old 02-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

Mr. Hale. Most people do not have an idea on what it takes to make Integral Knives, and I am looking at resting my hands and arms for a few days.
I have some ideas on ways a student has to check a list of the things I promised they would learn, or that I would show them to do. I will not get into the specifics here about how I am going to do that.
I am looking at doing this only two or three times a year to be realistic, and not just anybody is going to come here.
I appreciate your advice.
Ricardo Velarde

84098, U.S.A.
(1) 435-901-1773
www.velardeknives.com
Old 02-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Skilled

I wish you all the luck in the world in your endeaver and will be hoping for your success and I'm sure all your fellow knife makers will be also...

Old 02-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Skilled

Just the price put's it WAY above my head, but that's just me. There maybe other's who do not feel that way.

Good Luck !! , and enjoy !!!
Old 02-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Ansoknives Send a message via AIM to Ansoknives
I wish I was not on the wrong side of the pond...

Old 02-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Steel Addict

I wish that I could go!

Brett
Old 02-23-2004, 09:19 PM

Lloyd has some very good points to consider very carefully. I don't believe that there are too many knifemaking schools thriving. Take it slow and carefully and wisely. legal/accounting advise would probably be well worth it.

Jens, all you have to do is come to the Guild show; stay over, fly to Park City and spend a week. Simple! Or visit Ricardo first and bring an integral to the show! Hey! Cooooool!

If I wanted to learn to hand finish a blade, like no other, and learn how to make an integral at the same time, Ricardo's the man! Have you seen his work in person? Fabulous! Plan on working hard!

Perhaps the price may seem high at first glance, but...... if one can learn, in a week, what it'll take years to learn on one's own, it may not be really be so high. Education, be it in a university or a knife shop costs, and is worth the cost, I believe.

P.S. Do Utahn's pay more? W're generally a bit slower, at least here in the Manti area. (That's the north east section of Manti. Don't nobody go gettin' upset at me you other, quicker-on-the-uptake, Manti makers!

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 02-23-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:13 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Ansoknives Send a message via AIM to Ansoknives
I don?t find the price high at all...!......consider how few knives you should sell to reach that amount..

I am deffently going to the guildshow...hopefully it should not be in the too distant future....I am very interested in applying for the guild but our finacial situation could be better... so I am not doing any traveling just yet..

Old 02-24-2004, 09:13 AM

Great, you're almost half way to Utah once you hit Orlando!! lol.

We'll look forward to seeing you there when you can make it, it'll be a great show this year. The Guild sure would like to have you as a member, along with anyone else that does such great work. (Hint, hint...)

Keep saving your Krones. Costs are always relative, I guess. When one is just starting out and need the education one never has the money or time to get it.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

Mr. Hale. Thank you for your advice. If you are doing the New York show I will look you up so we can meet. Thank you again.
Mr Anso. I never thought about knife consulting, but maybe on one of my trips to Europe I will stop by your area (Sweden is one of my favorites) and we can figure out how to have a good time knifemaking.
Steve. How much would I need to pay you to come and give me another class, truely there was never a day I did not learn something new from you. I will throw in the lodging and skiing for you.
The hours are getting longer at the shop before the N.Y. show, so I will be off and on here.
Ricardo Velarde
www.velardeknives.com

84098, U.S.A.
(1) 435-901-1773
www.velardeknives.com

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives