MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:29 PM

Beginner's First Engraved Knife

I have gotten kind of tired of just cutting practice plates, but I was reluctant to cut one of my knives, or anything else that was real, under the theory that there was no need in ruining a perfectly good knife. However, I took the plunge yesterday and here is how it turned out. The engraved area is about the size of a dime. I know this effort is far from perfect and that I have a looooong way to go (years?), so I would therefore appreciate your constructive criticism and/or helpful advise, or tips or whatever. I would say that when I am just holding this knife in my hand looking at it, it looks pretty good, but that darn magnification doesn?t lie. Thanks. Jon

http://members.cox.net/jondake/First_Engraved_Knife.htm
Old 05-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Jon

You sort of got lost in everything else that's going on.

Great effort. Good on you for giving a real project a go. It sure sharpens the mind a bit doesn't it. Yes, your right, the second one is better as the curves have a few less bumps in them.

One thing I noticed was that you have cut the backbone of the scroll. The inside cut closest to the leaves. It's generally not a good idea to do that. Let shading on the leaves do that for you.

If you want to purchase a really good book that shows you exactley what I mean, get Ron Smiths book on advanced scroll drawing. It's only $60 and it's worth it's weight in gold. You can purchase it from www.fega.com

Keep up the good work. With practice and patience you will get better. Keep posting

Best regards
Andrew Biggs
Old 05-31-2006, 10:57 PM
Skilled

Not bad Jon
As Andrew says The Ron Smith book is excellent and worth every penny. Keep posting, the people on this forum are wonderful and so willing to help. Also post the type of equipment and graver grind. I might suggest a wider grind like a 120 degrees with a very small heel and a lite touch. It will go around those curves nice and easy.
Keep it up.
Mike
Old 06-01-2006, 03:15 AM
Steel Addict

A good effort Jon, I second what Andrew says. To my eyes this could be further improved if you concentrate on the background some more. Try and make the stippling even and show a deep, rich black. Its not easy as it dulls points very quickly, but I'm sure you'll be even more pleased with your results.

One of the tips that was given to me when I was apprenticed, was observe, observe, observe and then when you have any spare moment that you're not cutting metal draw scrolls and play about with their design by drawing them. I haven't gotten my copy of Ron's book yet but I'm sure he'll say some words of encouragement along these lines. For us who have been engraving for many years it's easy to forget just how tough it is for those starting out.

Classes are a great way to learn but when they're over you're left basically to your own devices (unlike the continuous training of an apprenticeship), so look at someones scrollwork that you truly admire and try and emulate it. Don't try and copy as such because that'll be like trying to copy someones handwriting but use it as a building block.

Above all Jon, keep at it. Only by continuous practice will you start to think of the graver as an extension of your hand. Andrew is a good example of this happening and I'm sure others will back me on this.. Go back over the postings of his previous work and you'll see how far he's come.

You, Jon, have a good cut there that can be built on. The scrolls are only a bit weak through lack of confidence and as you now know cutting the real thing is toally different to a practice plate. Very well done and I hope you post more of your work in the future.

all the best
Marcus
Old 06-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

Good effort, as you say your second side is better than the first, which is how it should be shows you are learning.

some suggestions for you if I might, please take them as what they are.... merely suggestions..

your borders should be a little more consistant with the edges of the bolster, try using a pair of dividers to follow the contours of the bolster as closely as possible. Borders do make or break a design.

instead of trying to stipple the background, which in my opinon is a waste of time if you are trying to achive black,,you either have to remove metal and stipple it down or try cutting light fine closeley spaced lines in 3 different directions, you will achive a nice black with out having to go deep, then if you wish do your stippling lightly and you will have a nice dense black shade to your backgrounds.

your scroll is fairly well formed , but as been stated, dont engrave the extra line on the backbone, allow the shading to form this imaganary line. try doulbing the amount of shade lines in your leaves and maybe some cross hatching to bring a more dimensional look to the leaves.

I know it is boring and not what you want to do but another suggestion is to simply cut ovals, squares, straight lines,circles etc.. ad nauseum.. on practice plates until you have total control of your cuts..also spend alot of time with pencil and paper...

As has allready been suggested to you ron smiths books are great if you can get past the philosophy parts. Once you understand the "rules" of how and why scroll works, your work will improve dramatically.

One thing that all of us do in the beggining is to be to heavy handed, lighten up on your cuts, engraving should be the illusion of depth rather than actual depth. Of course it all depends on what type( style) of engraving you are striving for. Some forms require a heavier hand where background is actually removed. If that is the type of engraving you wish to do, get some books on the austrian-german styles of engraving and study them, they do this form of engraving quite well.

One thing I must disagree on that has been told to you is DO try to copy anothers work line for line..find someone whos work you admire and "counterfiet" it to the best of your ability, in this manner you will learn alot about cutting and how the cuts were formed. Try to figure what shape gravers were used, get as close as possible to the actuall design. Experiment!

the rest is just practice, it just takes time,study and a dedication to the art...

best of luck and will be interested to see your art progress..

j.c.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Steel Addict

A good first effort!

I think Marcus and JC are hitting the same point in different ways.

Emulating great work is a great way to learn.

My philosohpy would be to try and copy another design exactly for practice, but use designs you admire for ideas and inspiration in your own designs. In other words, make it look like a certain style, but not an exact copy of any actual engraving.

other issues aside, I think it important to keep designing your own work, to grow in that area, but practice makes perfect only if you practice perfection! That is where copying great work, for educational purposes, is invaluable.

There is no hope for you now! I bet you are hooked!!

my condolences...

Tom
Old 06-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Jon, none of these guys started out looking as great as they do today, everyone has to go through the curve. I've been messing with my engraving for several years, but so far it hasn't developed very well, but I keep trying. I think if you do exactly as these guys just told you, you'll be on the right track. That, and posting for critique and review, just don't let it hurt your feelings at times. Good luck with it, you'll enjoy the challenge.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 06-01-2006, 08:37 PM

I would like to thank all of you for your kind words of encouragement and great advice. I intend to recut this scroll a few more times and try to incorporate the suggestions which you have made (more practice plate work). I am commited to becomming a quality engraver and I don't expect to get there overnight. I know that design and cutting go hand and hand and intend to work on both. I don't know if I will ever be able to do the kind of incredible work some of you do, but I am determined to give it the best shot that I can and only time will tell. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Registered

applauding your first effort!

Tags
forge, knife, knives