MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 08-03-2004, 07:03 PM
Registered

Fixed blade knife parts

I'm looking for a picture or Illustration of a fixed blade with a description of the various characteristics, Tang, Tip, etc. Seen one someplace, but cannot find it. Thank you for your time and consideration; Bernie Pavlik
Old 08-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Skilled

Here's one, Bernie: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umschm08/

- Jim
Old 08-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Registered

Knife Part description

Thanks for the information Jim, that's a great website.

Somewhere I seen a description that included the term "ricasso" does that mean anything?

Thanks again; Bernie Pavlik
Old 08-04-2004, 07:32 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
The ricasso is the area of the blade between the front of the guard, bolsters or handle and the back side of the grinding plunge. 'Notherwords, the part of the blade that isn't ground.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 08-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Skilled

Flat of the Land

The Choil is the bottom piece of the blade between the cutting edge and the handle/guard. The Ricasso is the sides of the blade. It is not necessary for the choil to be flat it can be beveled or angled or curved. In curved form it is often referred to as a "finger choil". In like sense the Ricasso is not necessarily flat either. If you want to get real technical. The Ricasso is that portion of the side of the blade without a cutting grind. meaning that the ricasso can be sculpted or beveled. It is that portion of the blade past the cutting grinds and before the handle/guard.
for example

Choil - Ricasso
My apologies to Don Fogg, but this is the perfect example.

at the bottom of the page. the dagger on the left has a flat ricasso and a angled choil (top & bottom or left & right in the photo)
the dagger on the right has a flat ricasso area and beveled sides folding into the choil area.

I have however seen both terms , choil and ricasso used interchangeably and incorrectly, I might add. So, when you read these words try to understand the context in which they are used.

This was originally posted over at the TKCL 3/24/00

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 08-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Registered

fixed blade knife parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Oksman
The Choil is the bottom piece of the blade between the cutting edge and the handle/guard. The Ricasso is the sides of the blade. It is not necessary for the choil to be flat it can be beveled or angled or curved. In curved form it is often referred to as a "finger choil". In like sense the Ricasso is not necessarily flat either. If you want to get real technical. The Ricasso is that portion of the side of the blade without a cutting grind. meaning that the ricasso can be sculpted or beveled. It is that portion of the blade past the cutting grinds and before the handle/guard.
for example

Choil - Ricasso
My apologies to Don Fogg, but this is the perfect example.

at the bottom of the page. the dagger on the left has a flat ricasso and a angled choil (top & bottom or left & right in the photo)
the dagger on the right has a flat ricasso area and beveled sides folding into the choil area.

I have however seen both terms , choil and ricasso used interchangeably and incorrectly, I might add. So, when you read these words try to understand the context in which they are used.

This was originally posted over at the TKCL 3/24/00
Old 08-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Registered

fixed blade parts

Thanks for the information;

Though the mills of God grind slowly, yet they grind exceedingly small; Though with patience He stands waiting, with exactness He grinds all. ….Friedrich Von Logau

Respectfully Bernie Pavlik
Old 08-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Registered

Thank you for the information; Bernie Pavlik

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife