MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 09-28-2002, 03:22 PM

KMG up and running

Hey Guys,
I recieved my new KMG grinder with a rotary platen last week and its finally running. I cant say enough about this grinder. It is by far the best one I have ever stood in front of. Tracking is perfect and it runs very smooth. The rotary platen is also very cool. I havent ground a blade on it yet but for doing handles and folder scales it worked like a charm. The best part is the rotary doesnt create nearly as much heat and the finishes are superior. Well I personally would like to thank Rob Frink for his workmanship and quality. Awesome Grinder!!!!

Old 09-28-2002, 06:36 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Tom, my rotary platen is on its way to me as we speak- I'm pretty eager myself! :cool:

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 09-30-2002, 07:02 PM
Steel Addict

Tom,

Thank you for the kind words! It is great to hear your initial impressions.

....and I wish to thank you for the oportunity to get one in your shop. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

Sincerely,
Rob

Old 09-30-2002, 09:21 PM

Hey Rob,
Like I said its an Awesome Grinder.
Thanks again and I am looking forward to doing business in the future.
Tom

Old 10-01-2002, 02:28 PM
Living Legend

smiles

that grinder puts a smile on one's face, doesn't it, Tom? my Bader 2 is sure lonely since I got the KMG1.
and the rotary platen is a just simply cool development.
it is fortunate to have someone as talented as Rob interested in making tools for knifemakers. thanks again, Rob.

BTW, Tom, knowing how you like power, what'd you hook up to this, a small Boeing turbine or what? hehe.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:01 PM
Skilled

Quote,"BTW, Tom, knowing how you like power, what'd you hook up to this, a small Boeing turbine or what? hehe."

There was talk Mike, that Plain Ol Bill, found Tom a 25 HP for it. Tom's building a room addition for the motor, as we speak. I am not positive on this though.

Old 10-02-2002, 03:31 AM

HAHHAHAHAHA!!!
Nah I only went with a 3 horse variable speed. I cant seem to bog it down and I have tried, so no need for that 25 hp I guess lol.
I do know a friend with a couple turbine engines still in crates though maybe I should give him a call. lol

Old 10-04-2002, 09:39 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Frink
Tom,

Thank you for the kind words! It is great to hear your initial impressions.

....and I wish to thank you for the oportunity to get one in your shop. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

Sincerely,
Rob
Rob, just a thought, I've admired your KMG1 for some time, but I'm a very amateur knifemaker and could barely justify the expense, but possibly. The real killer is that I am in the UK. I dont know how heavy the KMG1 is, but I'm betting shipping costs would put a couple of hundered US$ onto the cost. Then we have tax at 17.5% and import duty too, which would take your basic model cost from around $800, to about $1300 for me. That's just too much. Do you think it would be possible to produce a cut down version for export, like the hard to manufacture parts only, maybe the tensioner/alighnment assembly and platten, maybe the drive pulley and pillowblock bearings, dependant on weight/cost? It would make life much easier for me, I could probably fabricate the rest from wood or MDF. I would loose functionality, obviously, but would have the bare necessary for a quality grinder? Maybe you could offer a modular system, so that people could buy the fram or tool arm later, to upgrade to the full KMG1 system.

What do you think? I know there are at least a couple of UK knifemakers who are looking to buy, but are put off the KMG by the huge import duty/tax/shipping $$$ hit in the pocket. I'm sure if you got some basic parts out to people, they would probably upgrade over time and you would add to your customer base.

Cheers,
Martyn.

Old 10-05-2002, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
New KMG!! Now your "spoiled" too!

Hi Tom!

Just saw the post about you getting the KMG! Guess we are both a couple of spoiled boys now. Don't you just love that thing!? Even though it's only been a few weeks since I left, not only do I miss the family, but I sure do miss my grinder too.

Keep taking those notes on the new stuff, I'll need a refresher by the time I make it home.

From somewhere in the desert..........I will endure!!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-07-2002, 10:58 AM

HI ED!!
Sorry I didnt reply sooner I had a show this weekend. Your right this grinder definetly spoils you.
I am keeping notes for you as we speak lol.

Tags
blade, knife