MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-07-2002, 11:34 PM

Talking KMG is up and running!!! + Photo

I can't get over how easy this was to set up! Here I was worried that my lack of shop knowledge was going to slow me down...couldn't have been much easier! I don't think the whole thing took even 1 hour to align pulleys properly, drill holes for the KMG and motor in the 13" x 28" phenolyc board (supplied by the guys at Woodcraft when I bought the bench), and bolt everything down...it was a cinch!

I used one of those new link pulley belts per recommendation from my new friends over at Woodcraft...works great, easy to adjust, no vibrations that I can discern (that's the belt's reputation).

Any concerns about the 1 HP Leeson were quickly dispelled...It's set up right behind the grinder with the rather short link pulley belt. Trying out the platen attachment and a fresh, ceramic "hogger" 60 grit belt, I was able to profile so fast I couldn't believe it...I can't imagine how fast it's going to be with the 36Grit!.

At first, I thought there was something wrong with the grinder, it's so darned quiet compared to the Grizzly I've practiced on twice in the past couple of weeks (my only previous experience with a grinder other than the 1 x 30 craftsman I bought 6 months ago). Even with substantial pressure, the grinder barely slowed down much at all...that belt cut through the steel really fast...the whole time the KMG was as smooth as can be!

I know I don't have much experience to offer comparison, but I know what I like and this KMG feels just right to me. Thanks to Rob Frink and his Beaumont Metalworks for making a machine that makes it so easy!!!

Grinding here I come!

Posting photo instead of URL for the 1st time in six months!!

Here's the setup...Couldn't have been much easier!

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 09-11-2002 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:02 AM

Just my way of bringing the thread back up to show that I've dropped in a pic, for those interested in seeing this simple KMG setup ...

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 09-11-2002, 08:24 AM
Skilled

Looks good , Dennis. You're on your way!
From the looks of the photo, you've got the KMG fairly close to the wall - if you can, you might consider changing the orientation so that you can work freely from the front and both sides.

Last edited by Kelly Carlson; 09-11-2002 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:45 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Dennis,

Glad you got the pictures to post. The grinder really looks great. I'm going to have to seriously look into getting one of those to compliment my Wilton Square Wheel.

Now when are you going to post some pictures of your practice grinds?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 09-11-2002, 03:29 PM

Kelly-
The photo is somewhat deceptive...I have plenty of clearance to freely move my arms and body for grinding left to right or right to left. If I should ever need to work from that side of the grinder, it's no big deal to pick up end of bench and swing it out more. I leave it in that spot most of the time to allow for my wife to get by on the way to the washer and dryer

Fortunately, the corner where this is located has more room for maneuvering than on the other side of the pool table (there's a photo of that over in Tool Time under Variavle Speed Grinder...you'll be able to see what I have to deal with...

Thanks Jeremy...it's great to be able to post my own photos at long last!

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 09-11-2002, 07:17 PM
Skilled

Probably a good idea not to block access to your spouse's washer & dryer. I wonder how she'll feel about it when they have an attractive coat of steel and wood dust?
Might be about time to consider a move to a rural area.

Old 09-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Living Legend

Bet you melt that plastic bucket. Those sparks can really get going.

Let's see the practice runs.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 09-11-2002, 09:27 PM
Skilled

Dennis,
Your going to be causing a dust cloud in there soon. I try to keep my shop as clean as I can, but when you really get grining your going to make a"mess". Get a cover over the w-d and any thing else you don't want dust on. mho

john costa
Old 09-11-2002, 09:38 PM

Kelly-
You're right about the dust...and the move.

After 6 months of sanding handles over on the other side of the room, I seem to have that, at least, fairly well under control. I may try your idea of hanging heavy gage strips of plastic sheeting like the warehouse guys to keep most of the dust self-contained within a certain perimeter of the grinder...we'll see.

Bob-
Between some practice at Ron Nott's and two night's on the KMG, I've logged a total of maybe 7 hours grinding time. Not that they look too bad, but I'd like a little more time before I start posting practice runs.**

Re: Bucket. I'm not finished...got an idea or two how to make this a little more "spark friendly" (I've spent a fair amount of time worrying about this...I've got enough headaches in my life at the moment without starting fires in the basemant )

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

**My 13 yr old daughter asked to be taught how to use grinder. Night before last, after I got it set up, she and I were grinding blades (or a facsimile thereof ) until 3:00 am. We completely lost track of time we were having so much fun together!!! She did awesome.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:20 PM
Steel Addict

That's great that your daughter enjoyed the time with you and she did such a good job, the real question is who is better ?

A baby's father
Some mother's son
Old 09-12-2002, 07:51 PM
Skilled

From an earlier picture of Dennis's daughter's first DDR, I suspect she'll become the chief knifemaker in that family very quickly.

Old 09-12-2002, 08:36 PM

Yep, Dennis is going to have to rent time on the grinder. Kids don't have the preconceived notions that adults have and pickup things soooooo fast. Dennis is gonna have his work cut out to stay ahead of his student!

Some how I think that they are going to be having a ton o' fun at the Greenbaum super shop!!

Bob Sigmon
Old 09-12-2002, 08:48 PM

As we were grinding throughout the evening, as you can imagine Piper would make frequent mistakes. These were no more of less than mistakes I was making or had made in previous instruction from Ron Nott. I kept explaining that it was perfectly natural as part of the learning curve, but Piper took it personal.

When I took her to school yesterday, I asked if she was going to tell her friends about the grinding. She replied: "No, since I'm not very good yet."

If only she knew just how well she did...I think I finally got through to her today. She'll be back at it this weekend I'm sure. As far as I can tell, with about 1.5 hours under her belt, she's not far behind me.

Piper is only 13 and quite petite for her age. We had to compensate somewhat for her size, strength, and height. She was also a little intimidated by the grinder at first...especially when I instructed her to get closer and get in a position where she could look down more onto the blade rather than holding it out in front of her to reach the grinder. As soon as she finally got comfortable with that, there was a big jump in improvement. She is generally talented in most things. I have little doubt that if she keeps it up, we'll be running "neck and neck" in our knifemaking skills in the years to come

"Dennis Greenbaum and Daughter...Knifemakers to the Stars"

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 09-12-2002, 10:22 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Way to go Dennis

You keep encouraging that young lady. Starting at such a young age will be great for her. I started grinding blades at about 15, and I've never really had much problems grinding decent blades.

If she's the artsy type, she should really enjoy your newfound hobby. You only need to look at the newest member of these forums, Fritt, to see how beautiful a blade can be created by someone so young with so little experience.

You will both find that as you progress, you will find more spectacular ways to embellish one of the oldest tools on earth. I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing the works of both of you.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 09-12-2002, 10:59 PM

Yeah I checked out "Fritt" in the Display Case. That Andre is really something else. 21 years old and he kicks butt! (Did you see that shop of his,... whew!)

It's hard to tell at her age if I can encourage Piper to keep at it. After all, she is a teenage girl and there is a whole bunch of new things coming at her at one time. Perhaps this can be a steadying force for her in an otherwise sea of change.

I'm going to do my best to keep her at it. Besides, I dig the heck out of doing this side by side with my kid...it's like sharing a hobby with your best friend, but way more gratifying!

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

Tags
blade, knife