MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Guru

KMG up and running

Well, after everything that slowed it up, the KMG is up and running well. The KMG, motor, and controller all showed up the same day. But instead of just setting it up I decided that it deserved a table built to it, so off to the scrapyard, and get a bunch of steel. Weld a table together that holds the KMG just at the right spot for me. Mount everything, wire it up and try and get her to go. Turned out the controller was bad.

Debugged that and tracked it down to the SCRs on the board. I bought this on ebay, and with everything (warnings about as-is, no warrenty, etc), I resigned myself to buy another one. So I called the seller and asked if he had one that had been tested. After explaining everything, he says that it is his problem, not mine, and he will send me a new controller out immediately.

So I go off to Reno, feeling good about that, and when I get back, the flu hits me.

Finally been feeling good enough, and got everything up and running. New controller works well. One good thing, I had been forging like made through all of this, so have a pile of blades to be ground. Went out yesterday and today and started through the backlog.

This grinder is amazing. I love it and the 1.5hp DC with variable speed is sweet. Even ginding the distal tapers flat I can't bog the motor down when leaning on it. This thing has power and makes grinding a pleasure. I should have ditched the Grizzly a long time ago (not totally ditched, still use it for some profiling), this grinder is So much better. Thanks Rob, this is a well thought out and executed machine.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 02-13-2006, 01:04 AM
Living Legend

Glad you got her up and running! I don't think a day goes by that I am not using mine for something, sometimes even knives. Remember the HF 100lbs magnet for surfacing, it makes a big difference.

Be sure to show us the table you built sporting that hog on it.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Guru

Yeah Brent, I got to get pictures. Just got home a little bit ago (long work days are a joy), so probably won't happen for a couple of days.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 02-14-2006, 04:57 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Congrats! Get well and have some fun. Looking forward to more reports on your new machine.

Tags
forging, knives