MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 09-08-2002, 06:16 PM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up Knifemakers are the best people!

Saturday I went to the Southeastern Custom Knife show in Winston-Salem. I got to see some of the big names in the knife world and picked up 2 nice blades from Jerry Hossom and Kathleen Tomey. All of the makers were very friendly and helpful and were great to spend time with. Sunday I went back and took my 10 year old grandson. He really enjoyed going and the makers were very kind to him and showed him anything he wanted to see. When we got to Mark Hazen's table, Mark let Matt handle a large fixed blade that he had been showing a customer. Matt's eyes must have gotten big and Mark noticed it. "Son, that's your knife" said Mark. "Any boy who gets that excited over a knife needs to have one". Needless to say, I was floored. The kindness and generosity of this man is boundless. We said our thanks and after a minute left. On the way out, one of the ladies up front had a paper origami swan on the table and Matt stopped to look at it. Mr. Koji Hara, the famous bladesmith from Japan had made it. He saw Matt looking at it and immediately began folding one for him. It took more than 5 minutes to make, and my grandson was amazed at the number of folds necessary to make it. These acts of kindness will always be remembered by Matt and myself. What a great bunch of people!

Steve Ferguson
Old 09-08-2002, 06:21 PM

Steve,

Welcome to the CKD. Yea, knife people are the best. I've been hanging out here for about a year and everyone is willing to share and help out.

Good on Mark! He really made a young guy happy and has probably inspired a life long love affair.

Bob Sigmon
Old 09-08-2002, 06:39 PM
Steel Addict

Talking

You know the longer I get to make knives and the more makers I meet, I truely thank the Lord for the day he let me discover that old 6x48 grinder in the back of the garage!

What a great bunch of guys! Knifemakers are indeed a different breed of folks.

Where else would direct competitors invite each other into their shops to see their work and learn from them? That's what happens around here!

Good to hear stories like this!

Eph 6:17.......the sword of the spirit, which is the Word of God:
Old 09-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Skilled

I've been hanging around this forum since mid June having started making knives about the first of June. YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST! I too meet Mark Hazen for the first time Sat. at W-S. What a great guy. Mark spent all the time I wanted anserwing all my questions and offering valuable suggestions, even envited me to come to his home (shop) next time I'm in Charlotte. He is a testimony to his Faith and the knife making community.

john costa
Old 09-09-2002, 08:48 PM

Hey Fergy, welcome aboard the CKD!

What a great story. I'll pay extra attention to Mark Hazen from now on, and I already highly regard Mr. Koji Hara.

I'm finding, like you, that it's all about sharing and good stuff.

Thanks again!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 09-10-2002, 07:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to mchazen Send a message via Yahoo to mchazen
Mr Ferguson, First of all, thank you for your kind words. I assure you, it was my absolute pleasure. I havn't seen a boy's eyes light up like that in quite a while!!! I did not get your name on Sat. and I am glad I found you here.... You've probally figured it out already, but I've had a lot of people ask what it is... the "thing" on the front of the sheath is a fish gig that can be tied to a stick with the paracord wrapped around the sheath. Both the knife and gig are 154CM @59 to 61 RC. Hope your grandson makes many enjoyable menories with the knife. Take care, and once again, Thank You, Mark

Old 09-11-2002, 04:41 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself, but I was so stunned that I lost my manners. I'm Steve Ferguson from High Point, NC and that was my grandson Matthew. I've seen your work for some time and really like it, especially your sub-hilts. Beautiful work. I hoped that you wouldn't mind if I posted here, just had to express my thanks, and let everyone know what a great guy you are. This story has been told to all my friends.

I did figure out that it was a survival knife and that the spearpoint was for fish. Neat idea. Thanks for giving me the steel info, I like to keep track of those things.

Here's hoping your good works come back to you ten-fold.

Steve
Old 09-11-2002, 01:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to mchazen Send a message via Yahoo to mchazen
You're a class act Steve. Thanks, Mark

Tags
fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives