MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Skilled

Making mosaic pins ?

Just curious what I should use to to get epoxy through the tubes? Also what do you use if you want the epoxy to have color.. Gracias amigos!

I bought a little pump thing from HF and some red layout chalk from ace thinking I could mix the chalk and epoxy and use the pump to suck it through the tubes but I'm doubting my idea now..
~Nate
Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Skilled

I've got a buddy that uses a brake bleed pump, but I've never tried it personally.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

They make colorant for epoxy, probably could get it at a hobby shop. Other things can be used like acrylic paint but be careful about using too much of any 'unofficial' coloring substance as there is no way to know what it might do to the epoxy.

When I made mosaic pins - and it seems like we all have to do this as a rite of passage - I just wore a nitril glove and slathered the pin material with epoxy as I worked it into the tube. Seemed to work just fine....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Skilled

It's some of that real tiny copper tube I got from you Ray, I just can't see the slather method working because of the thickness of epoxy and small inside diameter of said tube..
Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

If you can get small pieces of stuff inside the tube to make a mosaic the the glue will go in there too. AcraGlas flows easily, other glues can be warmed a little to thin them so should be a problem getting glue in there. Just rub it onto the pieces as you slide them into the outer tube. Feel free to cut the tube down to 6" lengths if that makes it easier for you ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Skilled

I put a tutorial on youtube a while ago using a break pump, i didnt like how everyone was using the drip method and had to come up with a better way. using the brake pump you can use more viscus epoxy's like the devcon 2-ton. If you use acrylic paint to color the epoxy use very little as it somtimes messes with the epoxy. I would recomend buying a bottle of coloring from usaknifemaker.com i got a tube of black for $4-$5 and it has lasted forever.

Here is the link to my youtube tutorial. FYI i had to prop my camera on a foundation of lego's to record it so the production value sucks.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Skilled

Thanks Ray and Jdale.. I had partial success last night with the crappy pump but couldn't get the epoxy the full length of the tubes.. But it's ok, mixing red layout chalk and epoxy didn't give me the color I wanted.
~Nate

Tags
epoxy, glue, hobby, made, make, making, material, mosaic, paint, pins, problem, tiny, tutorial