MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 11-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Skilled

GCKG Nov 08 meeting a few pics

It was a beautiful day in Columbus, GA and about 30 Georgia Custom Knifemakers Guild members and friends met at Don Tommy's shop for a day of demonstrations and conversations about knives. If you could not make the meeting, you missed a good one.

This is Don Tommy's shop with display tables outside and Pop set up on the left with his supplies. The weather was perfect and the gas cheaper on the West coast of GA than on the East. Throw in knives and good friends, new friends and great food and it just doesn't get much better

Don literally hung out the welcome sign for the Guild and did a fantastic job with the demonstrations. This is our president Scott Davidson on the right and our newest member Charles Dunn from Shiloh GA standing under Don's sign.

This is a picture of Don demonstrating his water drip system on his grinder. No dust and very little mess! I tried it out and really pushed into the belt, got very little heat on the stock I was grinding and my shirt was clean. I was and am impressed.

This is Dave Roberts demonstrating a similar wet grinding set up on a Bader grinder. It worked very well too.

Will Dutton is on the left with the lucky winner of the knife that Will donated to be raffled off for the John Poythress Scholarship Fund. I apologize but I didn't get the winners name maybe someone will help me out.

Some of the group enjoying some great bar-b-q.

Pop and John Costa enjoying some of the bar-b-q and a few moments of quiet in a busy day.

It was a good day and Don, Dave and others that helped Don out did an outstanding job of hosting a Georgia Guild meeting. Charlie and I really enjoyed the demonstrations and the chance to try out some of Don's equipment was exciting and enlightening. It is always good to see friends in the knifemakeing world and I am sorry that everyone couldn't make the meeting. The next meeting will be at our shop in Statesboro in February. We will post the date as soon as we can.

I saw others taking pictures during the day and hope that they will add pictures to the thread. Looking at what I ended up with I missed a lot of great pictures (and some didn't turn out to well).

Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 AM

Thanks for sharing Harry. Sorry I couldn't make it, first one I've missed.
I believe Dave R. has a disc with a lot of pictures to share as well.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 AM

I believe Doug Adams of Carrolton won the Scholarship Fund Knife.

Thank you Don and the 'Columbus Gang' for hosting the meeting. It was a good meeting. There is a lot of talent in Columbus!
Old 11-10-2008, 06:00 PM

Thanks for posting the images, Harry. I have over a hundred images less a few culls that I put on a DVD disc as Carl mentioned above. I mailed the disc today to several folks, including you, Harry, who may have the uploading savvy to put some more pictures up. If anyone wants me to do one for you, let me know.

You or Jamey will have to give me the short course on uploading images when we get together in February at your place.

The meeting was a lot of fun; we just wish everyone could have been here. And don't forget James Mitchell's demonstration that mesmerized everyone under the shed watching him. His scrimshaw dogwood petal (that I won by guessing the date on a quarter, BTW) is a work of art. When she saw it, my wife took it away from me in about two seconds.

Dave Roberts
Old 11-10-2008, 06:51 PM

Yeah, Randy got it right that's my friend Doug Adams. He was a visitor at Trackrock in Sept. and I convinced him he would have a good time at the Guild meeting as well. It's obvious you guys took good care of him. Wonder if he'll let me play with his new knife? He's coming over Friday to learn a little about not turning steel into dust (guess I'll never hear the end of this one).

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Skilled

I knew that I had seen Doug before but could not place it. I didn't get a chance to speak to him after he won the knife, but I noticed it didn't take him long to put it on his belt. I hope he had a good time and will come back. Tell him we are going to raffle off another knife in February and he is welcome to come try and win that one too.

Dave I will see if I can't post a few pictures from your CD as soon as I get it. I hadn't forgotten about Mr. Mitchell's demonstration (he is an amazing artist that makes it look so easy) I just realized that the pictures weren't all that good. I would be glad to get with you at the Feb meeting and show you how to post pictures on the forums. It is really not all that hard and won't take long. Think that there would be any interest in a demonstration in doing that for the Guild?

Old 11-11-2008, 05:52 AM

Sounds like a good demo to me.

Doug is very pleased with the knife. He couldn't believe it was that easy to win. Said he had a great time at the meeting. That Columbus Cut Throat bunch really impressed him (he actually had nice things to say about you guys!?!).
He's pretty excited about making knives now.
(Don't worry, fellow Anvil Heads, his first knife will be a forged one!)

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-12-2008, 11:11 AM

Newest Member

I would like thank all who had a part in putting on the meeting in Columbus. It was a great event. I am very proud to be a member of this organization and will support as I am able. Even though I previously knew only a couple of men who were there, everyone made me feel welcome and accepted. Special thanks to Don for opening his shop up to us and that was some great BBQ. Thanks again.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:59 AM

Charles, Glad to have you aboard. Also, since you are only a hop and jump away from Columbus up in Shiloh, think about coming to our Valley Cutthroats, aka Columbus Gang, meeting on Thursday, December 4 at 7:00 PM. We are a VERY informal group who meet at Don Tommey's Shop on the first Thursday of each month. There are no presidents, no dues, nothing except good friends who make and discuss knives; and you already know the way. The only obligation if you become a regular is about once a year you have to bring the chow to the meeting. You've already met several of the group, Don Tommey, Bill Snow, James and Ralph Mitchell, and myself at the Guild meeting. I even "googled it" and you're less than 35 miles away from Don's Shop. So, Come on!

Dave Roberts
Old 11-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

Columbus Meeting

It was great to have everyone here in Columbus last week, and I hope everyone had a good time and a safe trip home. Don does a great job, and like most of you, I am impressed with his innovative nature, his "home made" equipment and now the "water works" he has come up with.
I'm so glad Charles Dunn decided to join the guild. I've known Charles for several years, and he is a great addition to our group.
One person I don't want us to forget is Don's son, Albert, who provided us all with the commemorative T Shirts. Having done that kind of work a few years ago, I can assure everyone that he spent a fair amount of time and money to do that, and he did it because he "just wanted to".
Again, thanks for your participation, and for allowing us to share some ideas with you.

James Mitchell
Old 11-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Skilled

Here are a few more pictures that Dave sent. I will try to post some more over the next day or so.
Dave on the left and Don on the right in front of the welcome banner.

Don demonstrating his curved dovetail attachment. If you didn't get to try this out you really missed something. It worked great!

Scott giving the curved dovetail attachment a try under Don's watchful eye.

James Mitchell making scrimshaw look easy. He worked at it all day and gave a great hands on type demonstration to those that wanted to give it a try.

James is really good at what he does.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:22 PM

Great extra pictures Dave! Thanks for posting them Harry.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Skilled

A few more pictures

Here are a few more pictures of the November meeting at Don's Shop.

Thanks Don, we had a great time.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:20 PM

Greetings from Iraq fellas! Looks like a great time. I sure do miss those Valley Cutthroat meetings! The good news is I got my orders to Hawaii deleted and it's looking more like Fort Campbell, KY. Well within range of Trackrock! Pound some steel for me and I hope to see you all in a year or so.

Ryan
Old 11-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Skilled

Good to hear from you Ryan. The guys in Columbus took real good care of us while we were there. Don shamed us with his super shop and put on some great demonstrations. The Knifemakers Guild just moved their meeting location from Ocala to Louisville, KY. Maybe we will get to see you there. Trackrock is getting crowded with all the converts Carl keeps bringing into the fold, but we will save you a spot. Stay safe and let us hear from you when you get the chance.

Tags
forge, knife, knives