MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2001, 09:49 AM
J Loose

Dust Collection and Fire... READ!

Redundant, I know, but this is important...

I feel a little stupid but I'm going to bear my shame with pride...

Last night I had an explosion in the filter bag. I'm going to start by saying that I wasn't following my own advice, which is to include at least a four foot drop and a dust separator ( cyclone ) with water in the bottom. I was taking an unnecessary shortcut and being lazy and moved my 'portable,' filter to the new grinder set-up instead of waiting and setting it up the right way.

I'm pretty sure what happened was that the small filings from a 220 grit belt built up on the platen into a small mass which caught fire and then went down into the pipe, so it didn't extinguish like a spark would.

Even if you are smarter than me ( which didn't take much last night... ) KEEP THAT FIRE EXTINGUISHER UP TO DATE!

Just last month I replaced the old one on an annual basis and when I checked it to see if it worked... it didn't. That replacement saved my *ss.

Now I'd like to ask everyone what other precautions they take on the matter- it would be difficult for me to directly vent in the Winter, so I'd like to make sure the precautions I've taken ( and ignored... ) are adequate...

Any other suggestions beyond dust separator, metal pipe and four-foot drops for grinding collection?
Old 08-26-2001, 01:02 PM
Ricardo Velarde

If you can not afford a cyclone use like a 10' to 12' hose to give it more time to cool off the particles.
Ricardo Velarde
Old 08-26-2001, 02:46 PM
MJHKNIVES

There is an actual firequench box(unsure of correct name),John Mallett of www.trugrit.com handles them.Might have to call about them though.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:50 AM
srjknives

Glad you're still there! Maybe we've all learned a lesson.

Thanks for the report - and for not worrying about saving face. I appreciate your candidness. (Is that a word?)
Old 08-27-2001, 01:06 PM
JerryO13

Fire Extinguishers - check 'em and get them refilled and make sure you have the right kind. Nothing like pouring water onto a grease fire. This is NO JOKE. I work on race cars all the time and it seems like paranoia, but we always have a fire extinguisher handy when we start them up. I've only needed one twice in about 10 years, but it made a big difference in salvaging the motor.
Old 08-27-2001, 01:41 PM
srjknives

Thanks, Jerry.

We probably, hopefully, all have one handy, but we all, again, probably haven't checked them lately.

Whe you need them you REALLY need them!