MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast

My Knife Workshop nearly finished

This has been an ongoing project since we moved into a new house last april

has been posted in UK Forum over that time but thought it may be of interest here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO having moved a few months ago Ive been struggling to get stuff out of boxes and make blades or knives Im lucky that ive now got a lot more space from the end of a single garage to now a wooden workshop the size of a single garage all to my self with room to give each area its own space ( i hope )

I first insulated then lined with OSB board

and for a few emergency jobs I set up the grinder on its bench from the old workshop in the corner

with lots of stuff filling the rest of the space waiting to be sorted as well as another shed full of boxes

I wanted to separate the Grinder as much as possible as even with extraction due to the windows i had to make it a bit bigger than i wanted but now ive got 2 Aly grinders and decided to put in the polisher which also makes a mess and a few other machine tools its getting full fast :O
Space is best used by only making the benches 400mm deep just enough to mount the tools and lessen the area avalible to build up stuff :ninja:

so heres the plan so far

Its taken a while but this last week ive managed to get progress and finish that bit

tho it needs the extractor and pipeing and an electric Ring main and lights :O
oh and a rubber mat floor and some cupboards for each tools bits and the door fitting :surrender: oks its nearly finished

progress however the other end now looks like this
but will be fitted out with kitchen units and worktops

Old 07-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast

oks havent had chance to do much as ive needed to get things made

But after burning out several plugs and extension leads with metal dust getting in them and getting hackked off with constantly swapping plugs on the extention leads to use various machines as well as tripping on leads

ive put in the ring main for the grinder room (tho it still goes back to a single extension from the house feed in till i get a 40 amp supply put in propper)
and due to blowing several plugs (tho to be fair they where on the floor under the grinder ) i decided to fit IP66 rated sealed outdoor sockets these arnt cheap but B&Q do their own version now which is half teh price but still a hit but its good to know its less likly to fry something

this is 2 separate incidents
-------------

Now

so open up and plug in

close lid to seal

its so nice to swap back and forth between machines with out swapping plugs

Also got most of the Grinder related bits on the wall out the way and to hand

and as you can see even with hoovering the pristine white is now quite grubby showing how much stuff you can get in your lungs

plus i really need to get rid of some worn out belts

And top Buy so far has been a Trend Air Pro Face mask no more coughing up black lumps of goo and its fairly comfy keeps you cool though you do get a bit of neck ache afte 4hrs grinding
Old 07-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast

Well Apparently using the Dining room window sill as my Jobs in and post out tray and various misc storage of sharps and bits isnt on :O

So I had to sort some more of the workshop and finally put in the rest of the Benches and storage

And have spent most of the last week putting Kit in and out of the shop between rain showers and all the End of term school have to go and see stuff
Oh and painting it all white of course

But Finally its done ( well needs screwing down and the Lights and plugs put in etc etc )

now cause every thing has been boxed and crated and shoved in and out of cupboards its a lottery to find stuff hopefully it will short it sell out as I set up the various areas
one minor change is I Added a full height larder cupboard to house the Kydex toaster oven and eventually will stick the old house oven in when we update the kitchen as its more controllable and much bigger fro Parang and machete sheaths
oh and decided to fit some Custom Door handles I had spare in 420 ss plan is to scale them all different as i Have time etc

So here are a couple of photos before it get all messed with working in Man it feels huge in there now

ATB

Duncan
Old 07-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Master

looks like a great workshop Duncan well on its way to being a great place to spend some spare time...
cheers

look forward to some finished knife pics !
Old 09-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Registered

Good looking shop.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Enthusiast

That's a fine looking shop there!!! I love it and I see a blade there that has a special place in my eyes and heart that there round knife in the vise!! I've made a few for my self also the latest it's kinda like the rino blades made by leather wranglers!

Tags
back, bee, blade, build, custom, grinding, hand, kit, knife, knives, kydex, lights, machete, made, make, making, man, mount, outdoor, post, project, sheaths, supply, tools