MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:59 AM

how to finish stablized wood?

well, i about have my first kit finished, but am not sure how to finish the stabilized scales i used. they are afzelia xy-lay on a GX6. it's nothing special as far as filework and whatnot, but the wood is beautiful. it has some open pores and i am wondering if there is a good way to finish and fill them? would a thick polyurathane work or would it react to the plastic impregnation? what about a nice wax? would that wear off too fast?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Master

If you have pits in the wood try filling them with a good two part epoxy. The best part about doing this is you can drop in a drop or two of acryllic paint or metal flake and really make something that look unique.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Enthusiast

Iv'e been using super glue to fill all small check marks and or cracks that i find in wood, stabilized or other. I use it alot on mammoth ivory because that is what is recommended so i would think that super glue will do the job just fine ( i also use accelerant on the super glue). Be careful of the thin super glue cuz it runs like water and can get ya in trouble. I prefer the gap filling type found at Hobby Town. Hope this helps!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Master

I use Zap A Gap both to fill cracks ans small pits.Careful with the accelerator,it sometimes turns whitish!!I also use ZaG to finish softer woods like palm,and then finish sanding etc.If you dont want it to shine too much use 0000 steel wool!!Hope it helps.As for stabilized woods I go with the rag wheel at slow speed with white rouge and after it wax it with Renaisance wax or other like it. Regards:Alberto