MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:48 AM

Wood finish

Hello all.....

This topic is not a new one, but it seems that none of the other threads answer my question.

I find that after sanding the handles on my knives with around 1000 grit paper they look good, and also feel great. The problem is that they still get very dirty at this stage. To solve this problem Ive used sanding sealer. It looks great on a display knife, but I dont like the way it feels in my hand(the sticky gloss coat).

Is there a way for me to seal the wood without leaving a slick coat?

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2006, 05:39 AM
Steel Addict

handle finish

I use a 50/50 mix of turpentine and double boiled linseed oil. Both are available at your nearest hardware store. Gunsock makers have used this for years and who can complain about some of those finishes. Just dip your finger in the mix and spread it on the handle. Next you rub it in with the palm of your hand until you can feel the wood getting warm with the friction. Set it aside until tommorow and repeat this process. I usually do between 10 and 20 applications depending on the piece of wood. You will know when it is finished when there are no visible pours left. Of course if you are using one of the oil laden woods,cocobola or rosewood you wouldn't bother with all this but on curly maple and walnut it's drop dead gorgeus. A bit of work and palm blisters but worth every minute.
Paul Savage
www.savageknives.ca
Old 05-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Guru

yes there is. it's called permalyn. Other methods involve not sanding beyond 400 or 600 grit depending on your taste.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:19 AM

Thanks

Thanks guys, Will look into both.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:03 AM
Hall of Famer

Paul, I just visited your web site.

Beautiful work!
Old 05-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Master

I use gun stock wax made by Birchwood casey, it seals and water proofs, but with just a couple coats, it isn't slick or "tacky". you can still feel the wood. its made of carnuba wax and a silicone.

hey Paul, how does it do for bringing out the figure in maple? I've been needing something for that.

Gary

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:42 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the feedback on my site Don. Always nice to get some feedback(good or bad).Gary, I use a mix of vinegar and 0000 steel wool about 2 weeks old to stain my curly maple. I usually do this about four times. after the final application is dry I steelwool the surface and start applying the oil/turps mixture.The lines just seem to pop right off the handle. This mixture soaks in very quickly and its possible to apply 2 or 3 coats the first day but after that once a day is it.once the grain is filled the light portions of the wood are a nice amber colour and the lines a nice black. This gives a nice deep low lustre finish and when completely set up is hard and durable. Paul

Tags
knife, knives