MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:46 AM
Enthusiast

KBAC-27D Output values

I have had one of these variable speed controllers arrive (to New Zealand, purchased from State Electric) and want to clarify one thing:

I have 230v input, and will run a 3 ph motor. The spec sheet says the output is 0-230v - so I need to locate a 230v 3 ph motor, but not a 400v motor? I just had the impression that all 3 ph motors were 400v and made the assumption that the KBAC-27d would be able to drive one of these.

Can someone please therefore confirm what I require:
2 hp, 3 ph motor, spinning at 1750 rpm, max cont AMPS 6.7, TEFC

Anything else I need in a motor?

Thanks all, I am really excited about going variable on my grinder...certainly this forum is full of VFD converts!

Shane

"Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return there; the Lord has given, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." Job 1:21
Old 07-04-2007, 06:55 AM
Skilled

I would look for any 3 phase motor in the 210 to 240 voltage range, the controller will handle these just fine. The 400V motor might turn but will draw twice it's rated amps if fed with 230 V supply burning out the controller in no time at all.

It would be advantageous to check with State to verify that the controller is in fact a 3 phase output.

On the other end I have been running a 400V motor on 600V for years now in a low load use and it works just fine.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Master

I believe you have the right specs for the motor you need to track down. The plate on my motor has two different wiring diagrams. One for 200-230v and one for 400-460v, so you may (?) be able to wire a 400v motor to run off of your 200v 3ph output. My understanding is that it is preferable to use a motor that is 'inverter duty rated'. I don't know how this all fits together in New Zealand, but you have a real nice VFD for 230v 1ph input.
Good luck, Craig
Old 07-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Steel Addict

The motor could be a multi-tap motor. Some can be wired for voltages 208-240/460-575. check the data tag and see what voltages are listed. Post a close-up of the tag and I will talk you through the process. Merle

www.rushknives.com
Old 08-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Enthusiast

Found myself a motor, just gotta connect to VFD...

Thanks for your input guys.

Got myself a motor and attach photos of the wiring in the control box, and the motor plate.
wiring.jpgmotorplate.jpg

Merle, are you able to guide me to wire this from the KBAC-27D? I have printed a suggested wiring diagram from Robs siteVFD-WIRING.gif.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shane

"Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return there; the Lord has given, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." Job 1:21
Old 08-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Enthusiast

Looks like that diagram is correct. If you want further info on your kb board you can go to kb website and look at the diagrams there. Make sure you set the jumpers on the kb board to the proper settings before power is applied.

Max
Old 08-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Steel Addict

Looks like you covered the bases. Good job. You have the choice of 50 or 60hz. 230 or 400volts. There should be a schematic that shows you how to swap the wires for the different voltages. If the motor runs in reverse don't panic. Just swap any 2 of the 3 phase leads. This will change direction of rotation. Any other questions just ask. Merle

www.rushknives.com
Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies...

The diagram posted shows T1;T2;T3; T7; T8; T9.

How do these relate to my motor, which shows U1; U2; V1; V2; W1; W2?

Once I can correctly correlate these to the Tx diagram, I should be up and running.

Thanks again, your valuable input is appreciated!

Thanks
Shane

Old 08-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Steel Addict

Check the markings printed on the WIRES. They should be the T numbers you require. Merle

www.rushknives.com
Old 08-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Steel Addict

Shane, Here in the States, the common marking for the line leads L1/L2/L3 for 3 phase power wires. The T1/T2/T3 are the common markings for the Motor or load Terminals. Over there where you are the markings may include u/v/w. Keep me posted. Merle

www.rushknives.com
Old 08-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Steel Addict

Shane, looking at the schematic you posted it looks like t4-5-6 are tied together t1-7 are tied t2-8 are tied and t3-9 are tied. This is a low voltage "y" or star wiring schematic. Look at the motor leads close and see if they have any markings on them. since u2/v2/w2 are tied together I suspect that u1/v1/w1 are the leads you are after. Do you have acess to a good "ohm" meter? Merle

www.rushknives.com
Old 08-13-2007, 04:04 AM
Enthusiast

Hi All

Thanks for the advice and information. I followed directions and got the motor hooked up to the controller and running. It is a thing of beauty...! Smooth operation, silent motor and solid. Despite the fact that it is all running on the carpet on my living room floor pending building the mounts for my grinder, I am really excited about it!

I will update once my grinder is variable speed.
Thanks again, as always, this is an outstanding forum, with loads of generosity and advice.

Shane

Old 01-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Registered

Post Using the correct 3PH motor with a single phase input VFD

Three phase motors are a much more cost effective way of speed control when using grinder, buffer or other sharpening tool. You must use a dual voltage voltage three phase motors with a winding configuration of 208-230/460 AC. Some motors that are 440 or 460-480 VA will not work with a single phase input drive. All dual input 115/230V VFD's such as the KBAC and KBDA all have 230V three phase output. Wire motor using the low voltage wiring configuration.

Last edited by EMWINC; 01-26-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Tags
sharpening