MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2001, 11:02 PM
srjknives

'Chute Knife

Bob, you're right. There really is something intriguing about that 'Chute pattern. Not the least of which are the two men behind it, Harry Archer and R.W. Loveless. Plus the adjectives you used above. It just looks "capable."

Old 03-29-2001, 08:49 AM
Taz575

I really like the design of the chute knives. It's different. I might play around with a 7" bladed version this summer.
Old 03-29-2001, 12:31 PM
ansoknives

here! now drooooooolll

(I have borrowed the pic from Senator)
Old 03-29-2001, 12:46 PM
dogman

That's the pic I was looking for...I couldn't find it. My favorite...
Old 03-29-2001, 01:19 PM
CKDadmin

Man ... what a knife!

Alex
Old 03-29-2001, 05:24 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Old 03-29-2001, 06:19 PM
srjknives

THAT REALLY IS A GREAT PHOTO.

HOWEVER, IF YOU CAN READ THE CAPTION, IT INDICATES THAT THE KNIFE IS A "JOHNSON" VERSION AND IT ISN'T, IT'S THE "LOVELESS" PATTERN.

NOT BAD STAG, HUH? SOMETIMES THOSE SAMBARS ARE SO GOOD TO US! SURELY DO WISH THEY'D SEND US SOME MORE!

HOPE TO SEND A JOHNSON ARCHER TO BOB SOON SO THAT HE CAN POST IT.
Old 03-29-2001, 06:28 PM
dogman

Steve, I'm hoping you send me a Johnson/Archer soon, too
Old 03-29-2001, 07:29 PM
primos

Mr. Johnson,
Regardless of who's version it is, your flawless execution of such a difficult pattern is mind boggling. And this may sound funny, but your humble attitude about your tremendous skills make your pieces even more appealing to me.

Old 03-29-2001, 08:40 PM
Taz575

Does this one look kinda like a chute knife, but bigger?? I know the handle is a different style...
Old 03-29-2001, 09:15 PM
srjknives

Pretty close. But like you say, the blade is too long.

The clip should be a straight line, which goes back from the point about 2 1/2" on the 4 1/2" blade. See the photos above, for reference.
Old 03-29-2001, 09:48 PM
Taz575

thats what it is! the clip isn't straight back to the end of the secondary edge! Knew something didn't look right! And yes, I wanted it that big! With my luck, by the time I am done grinding it, it will be 5" long blade!
Old 03-29-2001, 09:54 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Mr.Johnson,
I would have to agree with Primos 110%.I have played with that grind.You are way too humble.

Reply from SRJ: (Is it OK to do this?)
As you well know, practice is a lot of it! If you grind enough of one type of blade it becomes easier. However, the NY Special is always a challenge! I can't make my brain even imagine making something like Wolf Loerchner does.

Or, how about a Johnson folder? I've got one almost done that Don Zaccagnino helped me with a few years ago, and I'm too chicken to jump in and finish it and make some more.

Humble might translate into being too comfortable and not daring to get out of that "comfort zone."
Old 03-29-2001, 10:18 PM
dogman

Hey, Taz.
Make that knife just like it is. It is not a Chute knife, but it looks like a great fighter. You have to rember, we are defining the chute knife by some pretty narrow standards. When you say you made a chute, someone expects it to look a certain way. What you drew is not a chute knife, but it looks like an excellent fighter.
Old 03-29-2001, 11:27 PM
CKDadmin

Yeah Taz ... Chute or not, that's a really cool looking fighter pattern. Stick to it and let's have a look at that baby!

Alex

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives