MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2001, 06:45 AM
dogman

Question on Bolsters

I have been using 1/8" material for my bolsters on 1/8" knives. Would 3/16" bolsters be too bulky for an 1/8" blade? With the 1/8" bolsters, I feel like I am becoming limited with the way I can shape my handle material. It is already super thin. If I want to use spacer material, it makes the handle material thinner still.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:49 AM
Geno

The thickness is a variable. Fat handles are easier to use but harder to carry.
Thin knives are easier to carry but not as easy to use.
Thin handles have to be squeesed harder to hold on to.
The fatter handles don't have to be gripped as hard to hold on to.
The looks are up to interpritation of what is too much.
No, 3/16 is not too much in my book.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:01 AM
srjknives

I probably use 3/16" most often, however, 1/4" is very common here and maybe used just a much as 3/16". Either is fine and you can, like you mentioned, do more sculpting if you have more material to begin with.

It' a personal decision and has to work for the type of knife handle you like to do.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:23 AM
dogman

Well, my stuff definitely falls on the sleek side. I like the look and feel of contoured handles, but I have been hitting roadblocks on what I can do because of the 1/8" thickness on the bolsters, which is actually less after I round them. I have started using Corby's more, now, and that has caused me to rethink my thickness as well. I already have to grind the threads down to get a positive lock when I tighten them. I was shaping the handles on this fighter and using the 8-inch wheel to dish out the back half of the knife. I almost had it to where I wanted it, then I discovered I had worked my way through the bolt and exposed the opposite thread. Luckily, it came right off, and I was able to screw and glue another bolt in there For my knives, 1/4" is definitely too big. I will play with some 3/16" and see what happens

Old 05-14-2001, 03:38 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Just an ideal , but could you contact your past and present customers and poll them on the ideal.Or at the next show you could have two knives to demonstrate the difference and see how the thicker material is accepted.

Just my two cents.
Mike
Old 05-14-2001, 03:43 PM
george tichbourne

I make my bolsters from 1/8 to 3/8" thick. The thicker ones are usually on hunters.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:06 PM
Ricardo Velarde

Hello Bob. I was reading your comments and I had a couple of ideas for you.
Drill your handle material, then shape it, and then counterbore for your screws so you do not grind into the threads.
Usually you do not take off very much after the handle is shaped. You might have better luck this way.
Take care and good luck.
Ricardo Velarde
www.velardeknives.com
Old 05-15-2001, 01:56 AM
BOB28

Mike good idea. He could find one of his best customers and send them a proto of the modified handles and see if this person likes it. Or Dog, just go out on a limb and make about 3 or 4 of them suckers and see if they sell!
Old 05-15-2001, 03:24 AM
dogman

Well, what I have been thinking about doing is using 1/8" on knives that I will just have smooth handles on. The transition from handle to bolster will be clean and I won't have to worry about serious drop off. A good candidate for this is my Boot Knife. I try to contour the handles on all my Fighters, so I will switch to 3/16" on that one. Then there is the tweener knife. I don't contour the handles on my SRJ Hunter, but it is a stout enough design that I think it will look fine with 3/16" bolsters.

Ricardo, I usually pre-shape my handles, but the knife I ate the Corby on was the first time I used Corby's on a contoured handle. I didn't do much shaping on the Juniper Burl handles because they are so volatile and seem to have a lot of hidden fissures, so I wanted to get them glued down first.

It's all part of the joy of experimentation
Old 05-15-2001, 09:26 AM
srjknives

I like the idea of making a few and seeing how the public likes them, compared to what you're making presently. The show would be a perfect place to get some opinions.

Can't hurt to try.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:28 PM
DC KNIVES

Hello Bob, I am one of those who prefer thicker knives.I usually start out at 1/4" then work it down to about 3/16".I have tried some slim knives but don't really like the feel in my hand.Though I will say,the last show I went to, it seemed like every maker made slim knives except me.Oh well,Black Sheep again,Dave.

Good luck at the Blade show.

Tags
blade, knife, knives