MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 10-24-2001, 08:00 AM
m l williams

Re: Nick

The trick of coloring your scratces is a good one. I don't know if it will work on stainless, but what I do on carbon steel is give the blade about a 5 to 10 second dip in 3/1 ferric chloride between grits. Will color the bottom of the scratches dark grey. Seems to me that my dykem would sand off before I got completely through the scratch. With acid the scratch is pretty visible till it's gone. The etch is too light to affect the finish on the blade itself. Anyway ya'll can try it and it might work for you. be careful mike
Old 10-24-2001, 09:04 AM
srjknives

Re: Nick

Probably wouldn't work on heat treated SS. However, lots of guys polish before heat teat and it might etch enough at that point to work.
Thanks.
Old 10-26-2001, 11:28 AM
JerryO13

Dykem

It's the same stuff, sorry brain cramp. www.dykem.com/Products/Ma...youtfl.htm
it comes in different colors and it can be spray or paint I think they make markers now too. I think 3m makes a similar product as well. Most tool companies will have it MSC, Travers etc.
Old 10-29-2001, 05:13 PM
srjknives

Re: Dykem

That marker would come in handy now and then, also, to cover a slip-up or a miss-scribed line, in laying out a knife.
Old 10-29-2001, 05:21 PM
JerryO13

They do make them, look around at the link I left, just be careful not to get a permanent metal marker!
Old 10-29-2001, 08:48 PM
srjknives

Interesting. They have a heck of a lot of products there. I'm going to locate one of those markers in blue.

Tags
blade, knife, knives